Menu
kingcreole1962
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

BT8600 phone - line cord error

Hi - I know this has come up before, but there didn't seem to be a 'resolved' answer. We recently decided to replace our landline phone (for no other reason that it was getting old) and went for a BT8600. I made sure it was fully charged and used the supplied cable. It worked fine for about two weeks, but we've now got the 'line cord error' message. No matter what I do, the phone won't work.

I'm assuming the wiring at the box is okay, as our previous phone worked and the new one did (for two weeks!). I've tried the Virgin on-line phone line test, but it keeps stopping at 99% stating that the test can't be completed.

Does anyone know whether this is a common problem with the BT8600 phone or all BT phones, in that they're not compatible with Virgin? Or is it possible that the phone socket is faulty?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BT8600 phone - line cord error

Thanks for updating us about this kingcreole1962,

I'd like to arrange an engineer visit for you to get this back up and running.

I've sent you a private message so that we can get this arranged.

Speak to you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

HI kingcreole1962

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry for the problems you're experiencing with your telephone service at the moment. 

I'd like to take a closer look at your line from our end but I've not been able to locate your account using your forum details unfortunately. So I can do that, could you respond to the private message I've sent with the requested information? You can view the message by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page.

Look forward to hearing from you and getting this sorted.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kingcreole1962

Thanks for getting back to me with your information, I've been able to run some tests on the line from our end and we're not detecting any errors at the moment. 

With that in mind, do you still have your previous handset to try and plug into the line? I'm not aware of any issues that would cause the BT handset you have to not work outright but we'd love to test if another would work. If you've not got your previous handset, would you be able to borrow one for the purposes of testing? 

Sorry again for the inconvenience this has caused, we'll talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

kingcreole1962
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig

We no longer have the old phone, or the box for the new one. We kept hold of both for a while, just in case, and then threw both out last weekend - and would you believe that within a day or so of doing this, the new one stopped working! Typical!

Anyhow, I'll do what you suggest and borrow another phone - obviously I won't be able to do this until I get home this evening. If this doesn't work, then I'll have to assume that something's wrong with the wall socket. (Although I'd imagine the tests you did from your end would have picked this up).

Thanks

Howard

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Howard

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes with another handset. 

If that doesn't work and you're connected to your master telephone socket, we'll arrange for someone to come and take a closer look. 

Speak soon

Craig

kingcreole1962
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig

I've got a different phone, tried plugging it in and the same problem - this time a "please check phone connection" error message. Therefore, still unable to make or receive calls.

I've removed the wall socket 'face plate' and tried plugging in direct to the 'internal' socket (the master socket?) and still the same problem.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for updating us about this kingcreole1962,

I'd like to arrange an engineer visit for you to get this back up and running.

I've sent you a private message so that we can get this arranged.

Speak to you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

AdeMacrow
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Our BT phones iare the same. Bought three cordless telephones a few weeks ago, to replace old sets and guess what? Now completely useless, as all we get is the 'line cord error' message. Cannot telephone out at all and people phoning us get the dialling tone, so they think it's ringing but there's no noise our end, of course. Tried all the disconnecting/plugging in other sockets and other so=called 'fixes'. None worked, naturally. Virgin will probably try and fob us off with some excuse. Really wish we'd kept the old cordless models. At least we were able to use them. Now, we can't dial out or receive calls in!

0 Kudos
Aloona
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Interestingly i have just gotten the same problem this weekend with my BT8600 however my phone has been working perfectly for the past year. So maybe there is an issue with the virgin line or the call minder functionality? Would be interested to hear the resolution as not possible to make/receive any calls.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi AdeMacrow

Welcome to the Community, I'm very sorry for the problem you're experiencing with your telephone service recently.

I'd like to make sure this isn't a fault with the line, are you able to test the handset at all? By trying another handset on your line or your handset on another line? 

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

0 Kudos