Menu
Voidbetween
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

BT call guardian display

Hi

All calls go straight to call guardian.There is no called display.

I read on another thread that a Engineer may be needed to fix this.

If so would this be chargeable?

Thanks 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BT call guardian display

i assumed that the OP had caller ID. call guardian cannot work without that to tell it who is calling.

but once caller ID is in place you set rules for how you want various types of calls to be handled, as per the user guide.

e.g. our rules are that VIPs ( family) can call anytime. other calls are muted from midnight to 6am, then we have a list of allowed callers ( friends, contacts) who are never challenged, a list of blocked callers who are not allowed at all. and another rule that says if you withhold your number then go talk to our answering machine. anyone else gets to run the gauntlet of call guardian politely saying state your name and business in order to be let through

once they are through, it's one button to add to either the allowed, or the blocked lists for next time

if I need a callback from ,say, amazon, I can go in and temporarily turn call guardian OFF, else it blocks the robo calls

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

my only downside was initial confusion over how to allow local landline numbers, Despite some of the on-line advice, what we had to do was store the 6 digit number, only without the local 012xx prefix, then it works.

it is a shame that caller display is not free, I recall one poster claiming he got it free as a special deal but it's not free for me.

from memory, it can be enabled over the phone , and takes effect almost immediately

All Replies
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

that is a setting in your bt8500 RTFM when all else fails

RTFM when all else fails

go to the call guardian section of the menus , type the PIN to access it, then amend the rules

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Do you have caller ID as a part of your package with Virgin.  With some landline phone providers it is automatic but with Virgin you have to ask as it is an extra service.  It comes with an extra charge of £2.25 per month or so, could be less if it is negotiated as a part of your overall package. If you have  already asked for it and it is not working properly then phone 150 and make inquiries.

User guide: https://www.shop.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/9m2r/bt8500_quick_start_guide.pdf

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i assumed that the OP had caller ID. call guardian cannot work without that to tell it who is calling.

but once caller ID is in place you set rules for how you want various types of calls to be handled, as per the user guide.

e.g. our rules are that VIPs ( family) can call anytime. other calls are muted from midnight to 6am, then we have a list of allowed callers ( friends, contacts) who are never challenged, a list of blocked callers who are not allowed at all. and another rule that says if you withhold your number then go talk to our answering machine. anyone else gets to run the gauntlet of call guardian politely saying state your name and business in order to be let through

once they are through, it's one button to add to either the allowed, or the blocked lists for next time

if I need a callback from ,say, amazon, I can go in and temporarily turn call guardian OFF, else it blocks the robo calls

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I think the OP said no caller display and wasn't sure how to enable it.

Basically Call CS and ask, they should be able to enable it their end. I can't remember what the timescale was when I had mine enabled though.

That asside I have found our call guardian a life saver... haven't had a nuisance  call since installed and every day there's quite a list to show all the strange numbers that tried.

And the announce feecher has meant that on the few occasions someone not in my phonebook has needed to get in contact they have been able to (including the early off of a free v6 install from virgin).

only down side is that the base station crashes every now and then.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

my only downside was initial confusion over how to allow local landline numbers, Despite some of the on-line advice, what we had to do was store the 6 digit number, only without the local 012xx prefix, then it works.

it is a shame that caller display is not free, I recall one poster claiming he got it free as a special deal but it's not free for me.

from memory, it can be enabled over the phone , and takes effect almost immediately

Voidbetween
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all issue resolved - Had to call CS to get it enabled - silly me thought it would be free/included in all packages!
0 Kudos