Menu
SonOfThePoorMan
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BT 8500 phone need a tweak for Virgin?

A Virgin Newbie, so be kind, please.
Getting Virgin installed this week & have read it may need an engineer's tweak to make my BT8500 call blocker handset work on VM telephone line.
Seems some folk report "line cord error" issues while others have no problems.Does anyone have any more information/advice on using this phone with Virgin.
Would also be grateful to know if the wifi hub simply needs to be close to the TiVo 500GB box or if it needs connected by ethernet.Phone,TV & hub will all be in same room.
Any help will be much appreciated
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT 8500 phone need a tweak for Virgin?

You might have to pay for caller display for your phone to work properly, no tweak required

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT 8500 phone need a tweak for Virgin?

Hi SonOfThePoorMan

Welcome to the Community, as jb66 has mentioned, in order for the caller display part of your handset to work on our line, we'd need to have caller display active on your account. To do that, give our team a call on 150 from any Virgin line or 0345 454 1111 from any other.

If the line cord error is regarding you not being able to make or receive any calls, we'd like to take a look at this in more detail.

Apologies again for the inconvenience you're experiencing.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
SonOfThePoorMan
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BT 8500 Advanced Call Blocker not functioning correctly on Virgin

Thanks Craig_D,

Appreciate very much you getting back to me.I have had numerous conversations with Virgin Media staff since placing my order for a Virgin bundle in the early part of January, but am still no further forward in getting my BT 8500 Advanced Call Blocker phone to function correctly with the VM phone set-up.

At the outset I was assured this phone's call blocking functions would work with a Virgin phone line by sales representative.My research before installation suggested the BT8500 may require a "tweak" to work according to some cases I found on the VM forum.

Detail was scant on the precise details of this successful "tweak" but it seemed to entail a setting at the VM end being remotely changed.On a few other oçcasions there is evidence of an engineers visit doing the trick.

The BT8500 does seem to have a history of an initial difficulty with the Virgin system but with the right knowledge they are definitely compatible as both VM and BT forums show many successful fixes.

But, despite, this issue with the BT8500 being unable to call block and Virgin clearly having found a solution in the past, that knowledge doesn't seem to have been shared or recorded- even the engineers that I met before and during the install couldn't answer my questions and said they didn't  know about the phone.

I have been going round in circles trying to find a solution and am now at my wits end.People trying to help told me I my needed Virgin Caller Display- it was ordered before installation.

The Call Centre confirmed Call Display was working, a fact I'd already checked myself with my mobile and another non-call blocking BT phone.The advice I got was to check the BT8500 manual and ensure the phone was working and it was in the correct socket.Again I'd checked the phone worked 100% correctly by checking it on  my neighbour's BT line.

I have an office at home and the BT8500 is an important tool for me in blocking nuisance calls.I am now one week into my Virgin contract but,sadly, if there is no way of solving the problem then I will have to reluctantly return to BT.

Here's hoping we can solve this issue or unearth one of the Virgin staff, who came up with the solution in the past.The Vivid broadband has been really good thus far and I'm keeping my fingers crossed you can sort out the phone issue.

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT 8500 Advanced Call Blocker not functioning correctly on Virgin

I have been using the BT8500 on my VM line for a long time now without problems.  Did you read through the BT8500 manual that comes with the phone on it's setup?

0 Kudos
SonOfThePoorMan
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes thanks I've gone right through the manual.Switched off Call Guardian,but am not seeing any incoming numbers at all.Virgin Caller Display definitely working as an old BT Decor phone shows them fine when I ring on my mobile.

Just been at my friend's household to test the BT8500 on their BT line and the call block function works fine.It's a mystery- and driving me mad.

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As has been found before by other members who were told that they had caller ID switched on by Virgin only to find out later that it wasn't and caller display was corrected once it was switched on. It is not a free service on VM as it is with some other providers. it needs to be a part of your contract and is a chargeable service. I think £2.25 per month. If your not getting the numbers to display then it's more likely that it has not been enabled at the exchange.

0 Kudos
SonOfThePoorMan
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Buffer6,

Thanks again for offering advice.Interesting that you have had no problem with the BT8500 on VM.Supports my assertion that there is a solution to my problem.
Caller Display is enabled on my phone line as I have tested it with another BT-branded phone.
The BT8500- which I had working on the old BT line for a year- has also been tested at another house on a BT line and works perfectly.
I've got nowhere with VM so far, but now feel only asking for an engineer's visit will solve the problem.
Very frustrating.
0 Kudos
SonOfThePoorMan
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BT 8500 Advanced Call Blocker solution founf

Bingo! After 8 days of trying finally managed to get my BT8500 Advanced Call Blocker working and all the Call Guardian functions working perfectly.😁
Tried my old BT phone/broadband filter in the new Virgin phone socket and Bob's your uncle the BT800 works a treat.
Without that filter I don't get Caller Display and consequently none of the BT8500 call blocking functions work.
Have seen many cases on VM forum of people having trouble getting the BT8500 to work properly.The filter solution worked for me- not quite sure why- but now I am happy.
0 Kudos