Menu
Diseased_Bunny
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Another Price Rise!!

It's that time of year, guys...  LR going up £1 a month, up to £3.99 a month for the bundles...

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Another Price Rise!!

gotta pay for those new improved spam filters , and all those delightful outbound marketeers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

well , faced with yet another price rise, I figured I'd ask BT how much for a BT line - AAAARGH - like wading through sludge.

after being told that i'd need to ask virgin to ask open reach to ask BT, if I could move... I went for " OK, lets pretend I don't already have virgin and I don't have a phone line at all, how much then..."

much more dancing around, only to finally be told you have to talk to sales - this live chat is with support, and sales do not have chat or email  ! 

my problem is that I ripped out the bt sockets years ago and plastered over the holes. so the BT line coming in from the pole in the street is cut , maybe somewhere up in the attic space, or maybe just lost in the plastering. To reactivate that, BT want to class it as a "fault" and do the VM+ open reach dance

and if I start over with BT sales, they will look at their records & say aha there's already  an installed line & sockets - but there isn't

so the bt live chat lady says you have to phone sales who will then talk to engineers... and no I can't forward them the chat transcript.  And we can't give you a price until you place an order!

I cannot get any answer to where do the socket(s) go & who does the internal rewiring if I wanted say a TV box near the TV, a router socket somewhere high & central, and a phone socket or three in other rooms

to give VM their due, I added broadband, phone , TV over the years,  as 3 separate projects and in each case I was able to say, drill into the house here please and then run a cable to there and the engineer did exactly that .

so i'ts looking like VM get to keep me a while longer but only because the competition is so useless!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Diseased_Bunny,

Thanks for your post.

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Please let me know if there is anything more I can help with.

Many thanks,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The increases to the TV packages and the telephone line rental are to pay for the ultrafast broadband...

... surely this line rental racket has to end one day.  It's not as if the broadband nor the TV actually use it.

If I fork out £18 for a mobile package with Virgin I can get an iPhone, 250 minutes, unlimited texts and 250MB data, and still have enough for a bag of crisps

It is just £15 for a sim only with 5000 minutes (so I could spend nearly three hours a day on the phone , unlimited text and 5GB of data.

Whereas with the line rental for £19/month I get nada.  Not even free local calls.  I suppose I could call 150 all day and all night for the hell of it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/broadband/virgin-media-to-increase-costs-by-42-for-mi...

Under rules set by Ofcom, the telecoms regulator, existing customers are able to leave without penalty if they are unhappy with the higher cost, as long as they joined after 23 January 2014.

Those who wish to leave have 30 days from when they receive details of the price change to inform Virgin Media that they wish to cancel.

Virgin Media blamed the increases on its continued investment in its ultrafast broadband network.

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Oh good it has started...

... Virgin Media could easily scrap the line rental charge as it doesn't even use it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/08/09/vodafone-becomes-first-major-broadband-provider-to-sc...  

Vodafone has become the first UK broadband provider to scrap separate line rental charges, laying down the gauntlet as it seeks to gain ground on more established rivals.

The mobile giant launched a fixed-line broadband service in October, years after BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin Media built customer bases in millions of households.

Now it has become the first to respond to calls from consumer groups, Government and regulators to abandon separate line rental charges, amid concern broadband providers use the traditional landline pricing structure to bury price rises in small print.

TalkTalk has said it will scrap separate line rental charges but is yet to implement the changes.  

Vodafone’s broadband service, in common with all major providers except Virgin Media, is based on wholesale access to BT’s network for the last link into homes.

0 Kudos