Menu
Patchy88
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Accidently cut phone line

We have been decorating and accidently cut the white cable coming out of the Virgin phone line box in the house. 

I contacted Virgin for an engineer and advised of the accidental cut to the line and advised it would cost £99 flat rate for an engineer to come out. 

Surely it shouldn't cost that much? I was prepared to pay but that seems very steep

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Accidently cut phone line

It is about the sum you would pay any other provider, or indeed any other utility for this type of callout where damage, albeit accidental, has occurred.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is your phone fairly near to the Virgin telephone box, in which case a simple replacement RJ11 to RJ45 Telephone Cable Lead will solve the problem ...  https://www.amazon.co.uk/RJ11-RJ45-Telephone-Cable-Lead/dp/B00F52B5MK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1476621...

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I think ther OP is saying he has cut the incoming cable to the master socket from the omni-box outside, which is Virgins responsibility.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

I think ther OP is saying he has cut the incoming cable to the master socket from the omni-box outside, which is Virgins responsibility.

Oh, I assumed when the OP said 'We have been decorating and accidently cut the white cable coming out of the Virgin phone line box in the house'  that it was the phone lead from the master socket, not the lead to the master socket.  

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This is certainley what VM will have assumed if they are quoting the non-fault callout charge for cabling that is not part of their installation. The OP needs to clarify the situation, or they will be booking a needless callout.

PS I have seen VM installations with white cabling feeding the master socket.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Patchy88

Welcome to the Community, sorry to hear about the accident with your phone line.

Looking at your account I can see you've recently had an engineer out to take a look, I hope that means that things are working as they should?

If not, let us know and we'll do our best to help.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Patchy88
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig, I did but when I called to advise I know it was caused by me cutting the cable I was told it'd be £99 flat rate call out which I thought was steep.
0 Kudos