Menu
Mike_Tal
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Abusive sales calls

I have just had one of my daily unwanted sales calls. At least this one was brief - when he asked is that Mrs x I replied that my (male) voice rather suggested it didn't sound like he had indeed contacted the lady of the house. His way of dealing with the remark was to suggest I was "a f...... idiot" and hung up. Of course easy to be abusive from behind his withheld number.

I know the call came in at 13.45 on Feb 10. Is there anything Virgin can do to tell me who it was that contacted me and I can make a formal complaint to that organisation or Ofcom or whoever.

Since the government is intending to spy on all its citizens to keep us all safe from terrorism surely someone will know who was my abusive caller. 

0 Kudos
Mike_Tal
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Abusive sales calls

I never have believed Virgin's claim that there is nothing to be done about abusive calls. It was simply a lack of will on their part.

British Telecom has announced today February 11 is to launch a free service for customers aimed at diverting millions of nuisance calls made to UK landlines - surely it is not beyond the wit of Virgin to attempt something similar.

A dedicated B T team will monitor calls to the company’s 10 million domestic customers and identify any patterns. The “rogue” numbers will be diverted to a junk voice-mail box, which British Telecom estimates will catch up to 25 million unwanted calls a week. The company hopes to achieve a breakthrough by harnessing huge computing power to analyse large amounts of live data.

The service will launch later this year, but customers can pre-register their interest in the service from Thursday.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike_Tal

I'm massively sorry to learn about the calls you're receiving at the moment, it's really not something that we want for you.

There are good suggestions for stopping nuisance calls [here]. It's not possible for us to trace the call in terms of finding a name although if issues of personal abuse continue, I'd recommend looking to the last case scenario of changing your telephone number. 

I understand it's not the most attractive option, but it's the most successful. 

I'd love to hear how you get on

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Mike_Tal
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply - but no thanks. I have utterly no intention of changing my phone number which has been used at this house since the 1960s. It is also my well known contact line in my work and socially. I am not changing.

I just don't believe you that you do not know who is calling. These call centres are withholding numbers so that recipients do not know their identity. Someone must be billing these call centres since presumably they do not own their own telephone network - therefore someone must know the identity of these call centres and the fact they are spewing out tens of thousands of calls every day. 

0 Kudos