Menu
eagleeye
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

wifi buddy and wifi calling

As a VM customer already, I was considering taking a monthly SIM only contract with Virgin Mobile as i already own a samsung S4 mini mobile phone. I'm with EE at the moment but the signal in my home is poor and currently I overcome this problem using a Signal box which forwards all of my calls through wifi.

I understand that Virgin Mobile use the EE network for their customers so I can only presume that if I switched I would experience a similar poor signal on its network. I wish to know if the wifi buddy app would allow me to make calls on wifi rather than GPS and so fair I have received conflicting information from no fewer than 5 customer service advisers from within both the Philippines and Sheffield. Indeed some advisers have informed me that the EE signal box would continue to work even on the Virgin Mobile network but when I contacted EE directly I discovered the box only works for customers  who subscribe directly to EE and not other networks who piggy-back on their signal.

It would appear that as my phone does not have an in-built wifi calling facility, I shall have no means overcoming the poor signal coverage from my home. Whilst I have the SmartCall app, my home phone plan does not include calls to mobiles so the only other option would be to upgrade my home phone plan at an increased cost.

Why is it impossible to obtain consistent and accurate information from Virgin on their products?

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: wifi buddy and wifi calling

To my knowledge wifi buddy would not allow you to make calls over wifi.

EE have wifi calling built in to some of their phones, whilst 3 use an app. 

Vodafone have introduced wifi calling for the iPhone 6 and Galaxy 6 and will extend it to other phones this year.

I'm not sure about O2 

0 Kudos
KillerQueen1971
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I've a similar thing with a Sony Xperia 2105, had to reset phone recently and I can't get onto  open wi-fi or ones I have access to apart from home. I log in to open wifi or my works guest wifi, but when I go to a website I get I'm offline

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Currently wifi calling is not supported by Virgin, the option is removed from their software versions to make it hard to do. The only possible resolution is to find a wifi calling app in the App Store and see if you can get it working

0 Kudos