Menu
darren-robinson
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

why is my phone sending picture messages

Why is it so hard to get registered, why do they make it so hard and frustrating, retype this verify that NO MY EMAIL HAS NOT CHANGED SINCE I TYPED IT.

My first bill is £12 for some reason, I have contacted by email but was ignored, so far so good, Not

It would appear I have been charged for sending 10 picture messages. I have no idea how to send picture messages, one was sent to America to a number that's not even in my phone how can this be?

I sent 10 text messages at the time stated but have been charged extra, does anyone know why this would be?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: why is my phone sending picture messages

Well that accounts for £4 of your bill, then - sending one SMS to ten recipients converts it to an MMS to each - at 40p a pop.

It's a handset issue - I've tried on mine (Galaxy S4) but it doesn't tell me that it's converting to MMS when I put in a lot of recipients. It does tell me it's doing that when the text gets too long, though.

I use it as an indicator that my text is too long and waffly and it's probably better to just ring them.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

• Were the ten messages sent "as one" - i.e. you wrote a regular text but put ten people on the list of recipients?
  • Were the messages longer than about 400 characters?
  • Did you include any "smileys" in the message?

Any of the above may result in regular text messages being converted to MMS and therefore charged, Whether it happens depends on your handset, as does the matter of whether you get warned of the message automatically becoming an MMS.

The text message sent to America is a different issue. You've used the Virgin traffic report app on your phone. They don't tell you at the time of use that it costs money - which I'm pretty sure is against OFCOM regulations...

0 Kudos
darren-robinson
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The ten were sent as one yes, it was just this is my new number and I picked ten recipients, no smiley's or anything, I did not use an app just my normal text option, Samsung Galaxy 3 mini if that helps.

Darren

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well that accounts for £4 of your bill, then - sending one SMS to ten recipients converts it to an MMS to each - at 40p a pop.

It's a handset issue - I've tried on mine (Galaxy S4) but it doesn't tell me that it's converting to MMS when I put in a lot of recipients. It does tell me it's doing that when the text gets too long, though.

I use it as an indicator that my text is too long and waffly and it's probably better to just ring them.

0 Kudos
darren-robinson
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

Shame I fell for it though, I wasn't a Virgin phone though but I guess they are all set up that way to make more money for the providers. I wont make the same mistake again. May even go back to the old provider.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How many times in one thread do you need telling its your handset, your settings and your responsibility?

Take your handset, swap the SIM out for your old provider, send the same messages and youll be charged for MMS again as thats what your handset has sent.

ALL providers are EQUALLY guilty of not advising people about this issue as its specific to your hand set/apps/manufacturer.

They COULD add a disclaimer in their list of charges, but really why should they? Its you handset after all.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Further to Kippies' answer - you can always change the default messaging app from the stock one that is installed from Samsung. Most of the alternative apps will allow you to write long messages and will send out the individual texts separately using SMS rather than as one using MMS.

0 Kudos
Stratman1971
Up to speed
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have just got a new Sony Z3, and have been charged 40p for a picture message. 

What would I have sent it with, WhatsApp or what? How can I prevent this happening again?

0 Kudos
Stratman1971
Up to speed
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Investigation shows this was down to GMail having me sending myself a message with attachments in the registering process.
GMail now in the dustbin.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi stratman1971,

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

Glad to hear you got to the bottom of this.Feel free to post with any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos