Menu
simba
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

virgin mobile broadband

Hi,I use a broadband dongle with 1g allowance I can not find out what keeps using my allowance when I am using the internet,it just runs down for no reason,anybody help.I use windows 7,thanks ,regards Dave/

0 Kudos
conman
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin mobile broadband

might be updating apps automatically and receiving e mails 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hey simba

I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your mobile broadband. There are a couple of things that can contribute to your data usage and some will use more data than others. 

As conman mentioned, software updates can use a lot of data and if your device is set to automatically update I would advise disabling this feature.

YouTube and Netflix streaming are also things to watch out for as high quality video can also use up a lot of data. 

Hope this helps.

Dave

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
simba
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi,Thanks for your reply,I have all known updates disabled and never use U tube etc.This has been happening for a good while,I can loose 2/3 days of data I could use in a few minutes,I have to dissconect  from the internet,and then try to keep a close eye on the useage,I am at a complete loss as to what it is.Thanks for all your continued help,Regards Dave.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi simba

Thanks for responding, there are a few other things that may contribute to your data usage. Are you signed into any accounts or services that require a constant connection? Does your device automatically login to anything when it switches on?

Dave

0 Kudos
simba
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi,I sort of understand ,but could you go into anymore detail of what you mean,ie: What to check and how,Thanks again,D.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi simba

It can depend on what is installed on your system and what is in use at any particular time. 

There are a number of applications and services that, if you are signed into or connected to them, may use data on a constant basis from the moment you login to them. Whilst we can't provide an exhaustive list I can certainly recommend a few things to keep an eye out for.

• Email applications like Microsoft Outlook.

• Online services like Google Drive.

• Messaging services like Facebook Messenger.

If you use any services like these you may need to monitor your usage throughout the month as these may contribute to your data usage.

It may also be worth double checking your Windows 7 settings for automatic updates. You can do this by following these steps:

• Click on Start and in the search box type Windows Update which should come up in the search results.

• On the screen that comes up click on Change settings.

• Under Important Updates, select the drop-down box and ensure Never check for updates is selected and click on OK.

Let me know how you get on.

Dave

0 Kudos
simba
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi ,Thanks once again,  I use Windows Live email not O/Look,   I do not use Google Drive,   I do some times use face book and I have also disabled Windows Auto/updates, I mostly only use emails and use the internet for banking and general use.I can be just looking at a web page and the data will suddenly surge away,I will start to look through Installed programes and maybe remove some,I wiil keep in touch and anymore advice will be greatly received,Many Thanks for your continued support,I must solve this it is a real problem,Regards Dave.

0 Kudos
simba
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi, To update I have not made any progress,I have removed programs I thought my be updating/using data, ie; skyp etc.to no avail the data is still running down at a fast rate,I will keep trying as I do not want to change ISP.from Virgin .but what else,Thanks in advance for your continued support,Regards Dave.

0 Kudos
simba
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi,Just a update,I still have major data loss,unless anyone from Virgin or elswere can help I will have to leave Virgin Mobile and try another ISP provider after many years with Virgin.  Thanks all Dave.

0 Kudos