Menu
mobilehelp
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

upgrade

Hello in august 2013 i took out 2 contracts one for myself and one for my partner but they both was in my name, me and my oartner split and he tookd the phone so that contract is now being paid through a second party, my contract on the other hand has been paid every month, i am just wondering weather i will be able to upgrade in august or weather i will have to wait until the second party it paid, thanks.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: upgrade

You should give notice for the other contract in July. If, for example, his refresh date is 29th each month then you should ring on 30th July so the contract ends on 29th August.

Phone 789 and choose the option "I am thinking of leaving". Explain the situation, and say that you're considering an upgrade to your own handset but want to cancel the other.

If you don't cancel, then your ex is able to run up whatever costs he wants, and you will be liable. It may affect your credit rating.

If you're still in contact with your ex, you might want to wait 'til 28th August and let him know what you've done so you can ring for a PAC and let him keep his number when he moves to a contract in his own name, but frankly, him keeping his number is the least of your worries.

0 Kudos
mobilehelp
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou for your reply, as far as i am aware he sold the phone and never paid a another penny towards it, i am the one who is paying it now through a debt collection agency, when it comes to upgrade my phone will this effect me? I already tried to remove his number ect but they said i wasnt able to do so as it wasnt yet paid up and its being paid little amounts each month through a debt collection agency
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

mobilehelp wrote:
Thankyou for your reply, as far as i am aware he sold the phone and never paid a another penny towards it, i am the one who is paying it now through a debt collection agency, when it comes to upgrade my phone will this effect me? I already tried to remove his number ect but they said i wasnt able to do so as it wasnt yet paid up and its being paid little amounts each month through a debt collection agency

Oh dear.

Look on the bright side, you're a bit better prepared for the next one, and if he wants a mobile, give him two old cans and a piece of string.

Virgin have moved to Freestyle contracts for pay monthly, now. These involve a credit report which may be a problem, given your current situation. Having said that, there have been people posting on here with pristine credit records who struggle, so you may find you have no problems upgrading, who knows?

What your ex did has almost certainly affected your credit rating. When you finish paying the agency, get a statement from them that the account is settled and then go look at your Experian credit record. You get 30 days free. You'll need to give them a credit card number, but you can cancel within 30 days and they give you the remainder of the month to keep an eye on things and then they cancel your account. They are quite good, you receive a spam every fortnight or so after that but they don't take money from you if you remember to cancel within the required time.

If you finish paying off the ex's phone after the minimum term for your phone expires, you might want to try and see if you can upgrade, but your Experian report will tell you if that's going to be likely. Otherwise, just go onto a SIM only deal during your last month, and then continue using your current handset until his account is paid off.

Good luck.

0 Kudos