Menu
bobbins101
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

upgrade/contract

It seems I only really come here with a story, so here goes.

Nearly 6 weeks ago I checked my mobile account and saw that I was due an upgrade. In my innocence I saw this as a good thing as my old phone was looking outdated, and I could do with a change. I phoned up and went through the negotiation of phones and tariffs, and finally selected one. Hurrah! A happy ending! No. I was then asked to confirm my name and address for a credit check. Sorry, what! A credit check. Not content with renewing my contract (6 years old, 3 phones), I would need to start from scratch. This is where the problem starts. For reasons outside the scope of this forum I do not pay the bill on the mobile phones, my wife does. Along with that I am not sure I could pass a credit check. So we are stuck. My wife works long hours and has approximately one hour from getting home to make any calls regarding phones (as well as eating, saying hello to family amongst other drudgery) , so it has been convenient that the phones stay in my name as I can make changes, check bills etc.

I was not happy and escalated the query. I talked to an advisor (did not take name - big mistake) and was advised a) that legislation dictated that account had to be in bill payers name and b) I needed my wife to be there to make the change into her name to change the phone. I said that due to timing that it would probably end up being half term (4 weeks later) that I would call back.

Half term and I call Virgin, wife in background ready for her part. I then get told that none of this can be done over the phone, and I would need to fill in a form which they will post to me within the next 5 working days. What! This is something that could have been done 4 weeks ago. Not good. Not at all good. 8 days later I receive a letter that bears little resemblance to the issue discussed. According to the letter another customer has asked to register their new phone or broadband  and have used my number. Grrrr!

Today. Phone call to Virgin. No explanation for the letter, not sure what it is but they cannot transfer the account into my wifes name anyway, at least not for another 4 weeks because the contract is still in force.

Cue splutterings and rage. Apologies to Ken by the way, not your fault but someone had to get it.

Not sure what to do now, when contract is up. The current line up of phones is very limited (no 4g!) and even with discounts is no bargain compared to others. Convenience was a factor, but as you can see from the above, it really isn't. Felt I had to get that off my chest. Thanks for indulging my rant.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: upgrade/contract

Hi Bobbins101,

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry for any frustration caused on our part regarding the contract. With regards to the contract, we wouldn't be able to upgrade you until the contract was up. Sorry about that.

Please let me know how you get on. I really want to make sure we keep you on board Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
bobbins101
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat

I don't want to call you out for not reading my post, but I do state that it was the information on my account online that stated that I was due an upgrade. The lady I spoke to at the end of September in my first, ill-fated communication with Virgin also acknowledged I was due an upgrade, and was about to process the upgrade when she asked for my details re. credit check. These are all details in my post above. All details you seem to willfully ignore in my post with your pathetic, pointless response. The last straw in this sorry tale. My phone contract ends in December, my wife's in January and my son's in February. All dates on the calender when they will be cancelled and a Giff-Gaff sim inserted.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi bobbins101

All contracts on Virgin mobile are calls FREESTYLE or SPLIT CONTRACTS (except 1 at the time of this message ) which means that you take out an interest free loan for the cost of the handset. The guidlines of a loan state "responsible lending" which means Virgin must carry out a credit check to proceed . These are FCA guidelines

The transfer of ownership process would mean that any existing agreement would be terminated. If you are in contract then you are effectivly ending your account early to which you would be charged any amount up to the point the conrtact ends. I fully understand how frustrating this is for you.

As for applying discounts on the upgrade . This wouldnt be an option for Virgin Mobile again because a loan agreement is involved. You cannot discount a loan, however, we are aware of this so we do give customers the best price we can

The team are open - 8am - 8pm monday to friday and 8am - 6pm on a saturday

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
bobbins101
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If, as you say, you understand my frustration then you would not reply as you have done. You provide me with information that would have been good if YOUR call centre had provided me with them 2+ months ago. To tell me after the event, even repeating information I have included in my post is rubbing salt in the wounds. You are not helping. This has gone past solvable.

0 Kudos