Menu
rbarnes82
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

unlimited data being throttled!

I'm currently getting speeds between 0.1mb and 0.4mb on my mobile data, is anyone else having this problem?

Have tried everything including different handsets and re-downloading settings etc, but nothing works.

Web pages are slow to load and often don't display correctly, and can't even download a simple app from play store or check email.

The service has been like this more often than not since joining 8 months ago and is absolutely appauling standard.
I was also promised a handset after 3 months paid bills but after 7 paid bills still keep getting declined!

What's the point in paying for unlimited when i get a sub standard connection??
0 Kudos
rbarnes82
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: unlimited data being throttled!

I'll also add that due to the nature of this i tried tethering to my laptop in order to read emails and received warnings via text that my service would be suspended if i continued.
If the network was up to standard in the first place i wouldnt have to view my emails on laptop!!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Your account is throttled to 2G speeds if you use more than 3½ GB per calendar month.

Tethering isn't allowed on Virgin Mobile at all, unless you got into your contract before 24th January 2013 (which is unlikely).

0 Kudos
rbarnes82
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

To bad, it's been like this since i joined, and for most modern phones 3.5gb/ month isn't a lot if you watch a lot of video or have several email accounts that need to be monitored.
It was the reason for selecting an unlimited package.

Even when you factory reset a galaxy s4 and add your google account it uses a lot of data to download and restore apps but vm don't take this into consideration.

In my opinion it's nothing short of false advertising and shouldn't be allowed.

it doesn't say in my account i have used any minutes outside my allowance or anything.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

rbarnes82 wrote:
In my opinion it's nothing short of false advertising and shouldn't be allowed.

I'm not arguing with that, unfortunately it all comes down to the semantics of "unlimited" and whether throttling the account down to 2G is a limitation (as opposed to just suspending your data altogether, which is definitely a limitation).

I use my handset's data connection and never turn on wifi (to save the battery). I have three email accounts that I pick up on the handset and I don't go over 500MB. That's including all the app updates.

I don't watch video, because the 3G speed here is too slow here, so I don't know how much data it eats.

0 Kudos
Pb623
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I want out! Seriously, I've had enough. I don't want to be a Virgin mobile customer any longer. I called up to see how much it would cost to leave early and they want £800 off of me - ridiculous! I signed up for an unlimited package, unlimited calls, texts and internet. That's what they said. No-one mentioned 2.5gb strangle tactics, it's false advertising at best, completely and intentionally dishonest at worst and to be honest, I think it's probably the latter. I mean come on, who in their right mind would pay 49 quid a month for an unlimited data package if they knew they wouldn't need anymore than 2.5gb. It's totally insane you would just get a smaller package and they know it, that's why they don't tell you your data is capped at 2.5gb. It's a con pure and simple. Called up and she tried to tell me ofcom are the ones who cap it and they do it with all providers and I said well why does 02 have a 20gb package? As you might guess she didn't have an answer but she did try and tell me I was a liar. I'm sick of them I actually feel depressed when I look at my phone. They're a bunch of crooks and they do not serve the best interests of their customers one iota. Not that I was naive enough to have thought that their corporate mentality was anything but self serving, I just didn't expect to get caught out with a hoodwink like this. I need a full speed large data package and that's why I took the damn thing out. My phone is not serving my needs and Virgin are completely out of touch with their customers.
sailfish
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just fyi wifi uses less battery than cellular data.

0 Kudos
rbarnes82
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can any techies confirm this?

I'm only at 1300mb on my "unlimited" allowance so how can i be capped?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

sailfish wrote:

Just fyi wifi uses less battery than cellular data.

Not always the case. Wifi uses less power when in active use, but if not actively using data (e.g. handset in standby, or just receiving PUSH messages) 3G is the most energy efficient. This is because wifi uses a lot of energy hunting for, and connecting to, SSIDs.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

rbarnes82 wrote:
Can any techies confirm this?

I'm only at 1300mb on my "unlimited" allowance so how can i be capped?

The throttling is based on calendar month. So if (for example) your refresh date is 15th of month, and in the last 8 days you've used 1300 MB, that would extrapolate to 3,738 MB since the start of the month.

I'm not saying this is definitely what's happened, but it is one possibility.

Are you sure you're being throttled? My 3G is woefully slow anyway.

0 Kudos