Menu
Graham5
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

two spinning cogs

I attempted to down load an upgrade from Virgin. I am now left with a display showing to rotating cogs

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: two spinning cogs

How long have you left it with the cogs on the screen? While Windows Phone updates are usually quite efficient I've seen a few people report it taking several hours to complete on their devices. Although a progress bar should appear on screen fairly early on.

If you've already tried that then the following link provides some suggestions. One is temporarily removing the sim and sd cards, another is performing a soft reset or, if that fails, specifies Windows pc based recovery software for Lumia phones (whether that will work with your particular phone or what effect it has on your personal data I don't know tbh).

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia-mdupdate/my-windows-phone-got-stuck-w...

All Replies
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Switch off and back on, retry if you wish to
0 Kudos
Graham5
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've tried this several times. Each time I just get the word NOKIA on a black screen and then it goes to the two cogs on a blue screen.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It not currently due wnloading as your U are aware, unless there is a system update going on at virgin I've no idea, other stuff is not working wedchat for example, so I'd bet on updates
0 Kudos
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

How long have you left it with the cogs on the screen? While Windows Phone updates are usually quite efficient I've seen a few people report it taking several hours to complete on their devices. Although a progress bar should appear on screen fairly early on.

If you've already tried that then the following link provides some suggestions. One is temporarily removing the sim and sd cards, another is performing a soft reset or, if that fails, specifies Windows pc based recovery software for Lumia phones (whether that will work with your particular phone or what effect it has on your personal data I don't know tbh).

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia-mdupdate/my-windows-phone-got-stuck-w...

Graham5
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Magic M

The two cogs had been on for at least a day and no matter how many times I switched the phone on/off they still reappeared. Tried removing the battery and SIM but that didn't help.

I then went for the Windows pc based recovery software for Lumia (mine's a 530). It took 2 attempts to download it. I followed the instructions ................................and the darn thing worked!

The phone is now exactly as I received it new, so I've had to go into my microsoft a/c and enter quite a bit, but it's not the end of the world to re-enter them.

Well Done and Thank you

0 Kudos