Menu
kaiphor
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

totally frustrating useless app

When I recently phoned customer services to change my mobile phone package the customer service person was very helpful getting one that was better suited for me. She also suggested in view of an upcoming overseas trip to use the smartcall app.

I downloaded this to my phone,  set it up and registered it. I tested it in the UK using a wifi connection and apart from the person I was calling thinking I was calling from outer space it seemed all OK.  As soon as I got to Thailand, purchased local SIM so I could phone home a big blue X came over the app. It stopped working.

I tried to re-set it BUT whatever idiot  wrote this app which is SUPPOSED to work overseas forgot one vital bit. It needs a 4 digit code texted to you. HOWEVER this assumes you are still back in the UK and it wont accept an overseas phone number!   I have tried in vain several times to get this to work but it utterly falls down as it needs to text you on your active UK SIM.

Not only that  but Virgin Media customer services is totally useless when overseas as there is NO EMAIL ADDRESS on the web site to contact them. The only 2 options are phone or snail-mail. Knowing the usual convoluted phone menu system that even after you get through finally to the correct option often results in you getting through to someone in India who hasn't got a clue how to help. and can only offer like a parrot like response.

Why can't VM offer a way to get this app to work? In the meantime I am paying phone/broadband/TV/mobile charges for the monthly I am away for services I am not using and they cant even be bothered to enable me to get help to sort this problem so I can at least get SOME usage out of our phone rental/service plan while away.

I am NOT a happy bunny to say the least and their ludicrous app coupled with non-existent customer help is really annoying.  To anyone thinking of using this app for an overseas trip don't depend on it, make sure you have some other means to phone back home e.g.Skype, Viber, WhatsApp or whatever  or call back phone subscription. DONT make the mistake I did and rely on this app.  If it goes wrong when overseas or wont work, there is absolutely  no way to get it sorted out as it relies totally on getting a setup code that only will work if you are in the UK or presumable on a high cost roaming agreement.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: totally frustrating useless app

HI Kaiphor,

Thanks for your post.

I'm really sorry that you've had some issues with Smartcall while in Thailand. I'm afraid the app is only available to UK customers and that is why it wont work with an international sim inside it.

I'm afraid there's no way around this due the constraints on how Smartcall requires a UK landline with a UK Mobile.

Are you able to download whatsapp or skype while out there?

Sorry I couldn't do more to help. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: totally frustrating useless app

Hi Kaiphor,

How are you getting on with downloading a 3rd party messenger while abroad?

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos