Menu
malkybck
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

something terrible has happened with my internet usage...

hi, just received these 3 texts from virgin! my phone has been connected to WIFI all day as i've been at home and i have maybe only used it for half an hour tops, yet when i check my account its saying 600mb of data was used today!?!?!? no idea whats going on, could someone please help?  im using an iphone5 and have only once ever went over my data usage so this makes no sense Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
malkybck
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: something terrible has happened with my internet usage...

this is what my bill reads!?

23 Sep 00:16 Using the internet No 640.01MB £1.00
22 Sep 23:15 Using the internet No 160.01MB £1.00
0 Kudos
malkybck
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

this might sound crazy but its as if someone is using my internet somehow?

i've been sat playing the playstation since 10pm and my phones been sat on charge infront of me unused, so its not possible for me to have used any internetnever mind 800mb :/

0 Kudos
malkybck
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Something strange is definitely going on, I'm at work now and the phone is saying in settings that I'm connected to the bt wifi hotspot that I normally connect to at work but there is no wifi symbol at the top of the phone? Internet doesn't work if I turn off mobile data either?

How much will I be charged for using the Internet on mobile data? As that's what I'm now using to post this Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Your phone uses data all the time, bits here and there, it's usually not a lot but it happens. If you are connected to a wifi router, your phone will use that by default, but otherwise it will use your mobile data. If you've seen a big chunk of data disappear, it's likely your phone has been downloading an update to its operating system, or your offline satnav has been updating its map, or a whole bunch of apps have been given permission to update themselves whenever they feel like it.

The only way to stop this is to turn mobile data off.

Any mobile data that you use in any given day is rolled up into one total that's added to your account at some time around midnight.

Data gets used even when your phone is in standby Some phones will disable wifi after a short time in standby just to save battery. If mobile data is on, they will use that instead, otherwise they will tend to just wait 'til there's a data connection.

This all means you can have data taken off your allowance a) even if you aren't using the internet yourself and b) even when you think it should be coming from somewhere other than your limited and/or chargeable mobile data.

When you exceed your data allowance, any usage of the internet is charged at £1 per day. This includes the background data your phone uses by itself.

In your case, I suspect wifi has been turned off to save battery, and your phone has continued to download its IOS update over mobile data.

0 Kudos