Menu
manteray
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

sms/mms not working

hi. I topped my phone up on the 28th july with £10 for the big data and 3000 txt's bundle, i didnt start using until today when trying to send a txt, my message is not being sent and i have tried on 2 phones, i know i have credit because i contacted virgin on the 28th to make sure i had the right bundle applied...i didnt want the big talk which is default, so changed it to big data after calling 789 and speaking to an adviser.

I have tried making calls and it works fine, i have checked the Virgin APN settings which are exactly as it should be, i have a signal which is also very important, i have sent messages before and it was fine, just today i cant send anything. does anyone have any info that can help me. 

My operating system is android 6.

many thanks.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: sms/mms not working

Hi manteray,

have you got the My Account App on your phone?

Or if you log into your Virgin Mobile account does your text allowance and available balance show?

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi manteray,

even when connected to WIFI, when in standby your phone's WIFI may "go to sleep" as a battery saving measure. 

Background data is also often needed, weather, location, syncing with Google calendar e.t.c.

It should only be small amounts of data but with not having any included in your tariff you will have been charged £1 per day for your phone using it Smiley Sad

If you want to prevent this you can restrict background data in the phone's settings.

Or just turn off mobile data completely when you don't need it. 

When you call, explain the mistake saying that you had now assumed that you were on the "Big data and texts" tariff and if you are lucky they might even give you a "Goodwill gesture".

Worth a try Smiley Happy

Let us know how you get on.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi manteray,

have you got the My Account App on your phone?

Or if you log into your Virgin Mobile account does your text allowance and available balance show?

manteray
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex, ty for your fast reply, i tried the My account app and it wont work when i disable wifi.

With my virgin mobile account, it say's i have remaining balance of £0.05 and last top up was £10 on the 28th...I have not used the phone at all since top up, i have used 7.30mb data it says.

I am wondering if the lady on the phone made an error when changing from big calls to big data...I just checked the data since 28th, it appears i have been charged for internet use even tho im on wifi and dont use data at home, and i should have been on the big data which is limited to 1gb, im currently going to call them now.

UPDATE: indeed they made a mistake, they didnt change the tarrif, but that still leaves me another issue, why is my phone using mobile data when im on wifi?...Help here would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi manteray,

even when connected to WIFI, when in standby your phone's WIFI may "go to sleep" as a battery saving measure. 

Background data is also often needed, weather, location, syncing with Google calendar e.t.c.

It should only be small amounts of data but with not having any included in your tariff you will have been charged £1 per day for your phone using it Smiley Sad

If you want to prevent this you can restrict background data in the phone's settings.

Or just turn off mobile data completely when you don't need it. 

When you call, explain the mistake saying that you had now assumed that you were on the "Big data and texts" tariff and if you are lucky they might even give you a "Goodwill gesture".

Worth a try Smiley Happy

Let us know how you get on.

manteray
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the delay in replying, altho it was a genuine mistake by Virgin and they have a record of me calling them on the day, they did give me the full 1gb data and 600 txt's(instead of 3000) as a good will gesture, altho i would not of used the full amount of 3000 txt's the 600 was totally fine.

As for the resolve in data loss, i got it sorted by using Netguard, i can turn off certain programs instead of all of them, simply because i have a awkward memory, and i forget to turn things back on lol..So far its working fine, i can still use mobile internet when out and about without worrying about other back ground programs using data, after a few days of testing, im glad to say all is very well.

Ty alex for your assistance.

Regards. Manteray.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Manteray,

thanks for taking the time to report back.

I'm pleased that you were able to get things sorted Smiley Happy