Menu
grumpygraham1
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

sim swap

will I lose my contacts if I swap from a standard sim to a micro sim. I am on a sim only contract. My old phones has died and I'm looking at buying a new one. But they all have micro or nano sims these days.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: sim swap

With modern phones your contacts are stored on the phone not the sim, its possible thet you have some contacts on the sim, but that's not recommended.

As you have a contract your last 12 months of calls will be available but not who's number they are.

you might try your sim in a different phone and see if there are contracts upon it.

If it's a smart phone and switches on still, try connecting it to a PC/laptop and then searching for the contacts, saving them and at least you would have a copy

Android phones have the ability to move contacts across again only if the phone powers on.Gmail, if set up also stores our contacts, they would be set up when you had installed and signed in to gmail

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi grumpygraham1,

it depends how your contacts are stored.

The majority of modern devices store contacts to the phone memory rather than the SIM by default.

Either way it will be your responsibility to transfer them to your new SIM or device.

Give the Virgin Mobile team a call (free) on 789 from your mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone & request a new SIM.

Tell them that you're getting a new phone and need to change SIM size. Ask for a new "multi SIM" (3 in 1) then you can just pop it out to the size you need to suit your new phone.

Dependent on your device some have their own programme for syncing contacts or use Google.

If your contacts are stored on the SIM you may be able to just copy them (does your old phone still power up?)

Or if changing to "micro" just trim your old SIM down to size even, then you can still use it.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
grumpygraham1
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

thanks guys. Managed to get the old phone to power up so used the low tech method of writing my contacts down! And virgin are sending me a new sim card free of charge so that's good too. Thanks again.
0 Kudos