Menu
Snap63
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

"sim card registration failed" error message following replacement sim, same number

Hi - my 80 year old Mum had her handbag stolen 3 days ago, her old nokia mobile was in it. After changing her locks, phoning the police, cancelling her credit card etc, I rang VM to report the theft & they blocked her account & sim (which are in my name). A replacement sim (same number) was ordered & I received it yesterday at about 1pm. I followed the instructions included, put the sim in another virgin handset, signed in at 'My Account/Activate' then followed the links to 'my tariffs and devices' &  clicked 'Activate'.  The box went green & it said: "Success Your sim was activated on 4th Apr 2017".  After 6 hours I still got the message "sim card registration failed" even after removing the battery etc several times & restarting the handset.

I rang VM tech support at 7pm last night, the operator said she would ask that it be reactivated as a priority due to my Mum's age, it usually takes 10 minutes but may be upto 24 hours...Could I turn the phone on & off after an hour?

I did this 5 or 6 times through the night, but it is now 16 hours since I rang tech support & 22 hours since I got the "success" message online at My Account. The sim is still not working.  I realise that the full 24 hours are not yet up, but in my experience it should be working by now unless there's a fault somewhere!

Mum relies on this phone sim as her emergency contact with me in case she has a fall, an accident, or is taken ill - not just for conversations.  Is there anything else I should do please?

Thanks 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Snap63
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: "sim card registration failed" error message following replacement sim, same number

Success all sorted - the new Virgin sim card had exceeded its storage capacity for messages both inbox & outbox, changed settings on phone to store in phone's memory instead.  Flashing envelope now gone!!

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: "sim card registration failed" error message following replacement sim, same number

Hi Snap63,

I'm sorry to hear that your Mum's phone was stolen with her handbag and that you've had difficulties getting the replacement SIM card activated. Has this been sorted out for your since your post?

If you would like for me to look into this, please send a private message to me with your name and mobile number, so that I can look into this further for you.

To PM me, simply:

• Click on my forum name on the left of this post.
  • Go to my profile.
  • On the right had side, select the 'send me a message' option.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

Snap63
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri, thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

Got Mum's replacement SIM registered eventually after I rang CS back, took a further 24 hours from then, but at last all was well & she could contact me.

However, 2 days ago (while she is away on a Church event this week) her phone suddenly stopped receiving texts!  She can still send them, & she can send & receive calls, but cannot receive texts at all.  An envelope symbol on her mobile is flashing constantly, but nothing is getting through to her inbox.

I have looked on the support section for Virgin Mobile but her new phone (Doro SpeakEasy 506, specially developed for the elderly) is not listed.

Everything worked fine at first, just in the last 24 hours has she stopped receiving texts. They are not 'bouncing' as I have had no alerts at my end. There are just 15 messages in her inbox from before, so it certainly isn't lack of memory space.

Any help gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Penny (Snap63)

0 Kudos
Snap63
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Success all sorted - the new Virgin sim card had exceeded its storage capacity for messages both inbox & outbox, changed settings on phone to store in phone's memory instead.  Flashing envelope now gone!!

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Snap63,

Apologies for the delay in responding to your post and PM. I'm glad to hear that the new SIM card is working for your Mum and that she's now able to receive texts as well.

Thank you for getting back to us and letting us know what was causing the problem, as other customers may experience the same issue and find your update helpful.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos