Menu
shirleywhite
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

"Nonsense" letter from Virgin!

Both my wife and I are are 2 year starter package contracts with the same phone model which are due to end in November 2016.  Today my wife received a letter (addressed to her by name) saying " .....get more for your money....with £5 SIM tariff" and " call 0800 052 2056 today" etc etc. It was no great surprise upon calling - to be told that " you cant switch to SIM only yet - have to wait till 30 days before end of contract - unless you buy it out etc".

When I gently asked  why were these letters sent out now? Saying "call today/dont miss out/we'll take care of everything"  the best the dear Indian lady could come up with was " well, it gives you plenty of time to decide"!!!!!!  She apologised on behalf of the marketing dept. and seemed to share my frustration!!!  

The icing on the cake ( and what really triggered this post) was to receive one of those "how was it for you/please rate our service" calls on my home number about 20 mins later. It's also frustrating to get fairly regular mailshots asking us to sign up for Broadband/Tivo/SkySports or whatever ........ we already are!!!!!   OK - these arent personally addressed but global anonymous mailshots - but it still seems to be a huge waste of marketing effort ( which helps clog up my recycling bin)

Rant over. Please Virgin - no more "nonsense" letters!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: "Nonsense" letter from Virgin!

This may work Opt Out

0 Kudos
shirleywhite
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that link Enlli. I wasn't aware it existed (nor do most I suspect!)
Much appreciated.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That will only opt you out of addressed mailings.

You will still get the random generic ones, you need to opt out with the Post office to stop those...

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The generic ones are good. A friend keeps getting them advertising fast fibre when there is no Virgin or BT Fibre in their village

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Most leaflets (generic) are dropped by postcode. So its SHOULD be fairly simple to make sure the drop is appropriate to the availability in the area. But that would take some actual work. And VM's marketing dept (like every other one) are big on ideas and not fond of the nitty gritty.

I used to work for a supermarket that kept leaflet drops going in areas 30 miles from the nearest store. Who the heck drives 30 miles for 10p off a tin of beans? Nobody that's who...

If you took ALL the postcodes that get a leaflet drop from VM that DONT ACTUALLY HAVE ACCESS TO THE SERVICES surely they would save money?

But hey, greater minds than ours....

In an ideal world they could even avoid drops in areas suffering from overutilisation too, god forbid.

0 Kudos