Menu
jab1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

problems with unlocking my Iphone 6S

in error i inserted my virgin sim to my new Iphone and now Virgin are saying that they do not provide unlocking code as I did not purchase the phone from Virgin. Every time i speak to a advisor I get different answers. Has any one else had this problem with Virgin Mobile?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: problems with unlocking my Iphone 6S

Hi jab1,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'll be happy to give you some clarification on this. With regards to unlocking a phone, the unlock code can only come from the provider the phone was purchased from. You would need to contact the initial provider for them to process this.

I'm sorry for any confusion caused on our part. Let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
jab1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.

Both Carphone Warehouse and Apple have confirmed that it should be Virgin that has to provide me with the unlocking code.

Virgin are not taking any responsibility over this fiasco and I know I am not the only person to face this problem.

Very disappointed with Customer Service at Virgin I have to say !

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I remember reading THIS post the other day where the OP had the same problem.

Apparently unlocked by EE in the end Smiley Happy

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
If this has helped answer your question > click 'Helpful Answer' also.

jab1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi AlexKid

Thank you.

I have tried EE already but might look for this online form that the previous person suggested. I am in the process of writing to Financial Ombudsman about this problem and see on this forum that it is a major problem that Virgin are ignoring.

J

0 Kudos
jab1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat_H   

I have been told by both Carphone Warehouse and Apple that the unlocking code has to come from the provider that the phone is locked to .....so it should be VIRGIN !.

I have read lots of comments on this forum  and it is apparent that Virgin are just washing their hands on this porblem. It is a shame that when they sell the SIM they do not make it clear that they will NOT unlock the phone.

J

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jab1,

Thanks for coming back to me Smiley Happy

I'm afraid that if the phone wasn't purchased from us, we'd be unable to unlock it for you.

I'm sorry I couldn't do more to help with this. Please let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
jab1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ok... after a few months of complaining with virgin and getting no where i have finally won!!!

Wrote to CISAS and Virgin were ordered to unlock my phone and also compensate me within 20 days. Virgin still stated they could not unlock my phone so they have just paid me  cost of a new Iphone. ( plus compensation)

Due to their awful customer service I have now after 5 years left virgin Media , broadband,  home phone etc and joined Sky. ( saving myself £30.00 per month )

It is such a shame ... if they had helped me in the first place I would still have been their customer.

Shame on Virgin.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well done for your persistence and glad you have got an outcome.

This whole business of iPhones locking to the first SIM is stupid, but the law states if a network locks a phone then that network is liable for unlocking.

As Apple themselves said it was up to Virgin to unlock the phone then there must be a way for them to do it