Menu
ianjohnsey
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

premium text recieved

I keep receiving premium texts costing £1.50 from 700035901, they come in threes all at the same time so cost £4.50. I have spent hours on the phone to virgin (151) trying to explain this fraud, I have been left on hold and had my call ended by virgin staff who say its my fault. virgin are taking my money and giving it to fraudsters and it seems there is nothing I can do about it.      

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Mallen87
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: premium text recieved

Have you actually received texts? I believe if you reply 'STOP' or 'STOP ALL' it should stop these for you. There is also a website called phone pay plus (Google it) where you can find more info about these companies.
I work for Virgin Media but the views I express here are my own. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Smurf1
Up to speed
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A quick search on the number found thousands of disgruntled people complaining about this service. The following is taken from a post I found ----

The service is provided by:-
Red Circle
PO Box 1118
Dublin 8.
Customer Helpline.:08452251808 (UK) 0818 300 051 (IRL)

It states in the small print that this is NOT a subscription service, however and here's the devious part it plainly states that you may be contacted by TXTUK with offers and information!

The website states to stop subscription services text STOP to 57767, however this number is WRONG.

To unsubscribe text STOP ALL to 60699 from the mobile that receives the texts you will get a text message in return to state that you are removed. BUT what ever you do -  don't  text STOP ALL from another mobile or you'll receive three more texts back and be charged £ 3.00 each.

Hope this helps.

All Replies
Mallen87
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have you actually received texts? I believe if you reply 'STOP' or 'STOP ALL' it should stop these for you. There is also a website called phone pay plus (Google it) where you can find more info about these companies.
I work for Virgin Media but the views I express here are my own. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Smurf1
Up to speed
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A quick search on the number found thousands of disgruntled people complaining about this service. The following is taken from a post I found ----

The service is provided by:-
Red Circle
PO Box 1118
Dublin 8.
Customer Helpline.:08452251808 (UK) 0818 300 051 (IRL)

It states in the small print that this is NOT a subscription service, however and here's the devious part it plainly states that you may be contacted by TXTUK with offers and information!

The website states to stop subscription services text STOP to 57767, however this number is WRONG.

To unsubscribe text STOP ALL to 60699 from the mobile that receives the texts you will get a text message in return to state that you are removed. BUT what ever you do -  don't  text STOP ALL from another mobile or you'll receive three more texts back and be charged £ 3.00 each.

Hope this helps.

ianjohnsey
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for the info, I think I will just cancel my virgin mobile and virgin media direct debits and see what happens, they will most likely want to talk to me and I can play them **bleep** music for an hour and then hang up.

Smurf1
Up to speed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

HAHAHAHAHAHA !

I like your style Smiley Very Happy

Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ianjohnsey,

I'd advise you not to cancel your direct debits as this may affect your credit file.

Smurf1 has provided som excellent details on getting this stopped. Give it a whirl and let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
stelissa
Just joined
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hard-working customers are being robbed of hundreds of pounds and Virgin can stop this with a few mouse clicks or a few extra lines of code in their software.  I have two phones on my account and both are used by people with learning difficulties.  They know enough to be able to check their bill and you can't imagine the distress caused to them when they find that up to £50 has been added to the total.

Don't follow any advice on this forum because it's all been tried and failed.  We need a change in the law and the ability to recover all the money robbed from our bank accounts.

I've had just about enough of this problem and I've decided to take it to my solicitor, my MP and every consumer organisation I can think of.

Virgin makes a lot of money from these Premium texts so I wouldn't expect any useful advice on here.

See your MP and campaign for a change in the law.  Nothing else will work.

Solitaire1
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've retweeted this post Stelissa.....sounds like you're **bleep** off with Virgin mobile too! I'm in the process of highlighting their shambolic service with BBC Watchdog, CISAS and OFCOM. I've been bullied too about stopping my DD. all I want to do is leave!!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

stelissa wrote:

Hard-working customers are being robbed of hundreds of pounds and Virgin can stop this with a few mouse clicks or a few extra lines of code in their software. 

No they cant. They are bound by agreements centering on GSM to deliver inbound premium texts originating on external networks.

I have two phones on my account and both are used by people with learning difficulties.  They know enough to be able to check their bill and you can't imagine the distress caused to them when they find that up to £50 has been added to the total.

Don't follow any advice on this forum because it's all been tried and failed.  We need a change in the law and the ability to recover all the money robbed from our bank accounts.

Couldnt agree more. But it WOULD take a change in either international law or the GSM agreements...

I've had just about enough of this problem and I've decided to take it to my solicitor, my MP and every consumer organisation I can think of.

Virgin makes a lot of money from these Premium texts so I wouldn't expect any useful advice on here.

No they don't. The originating network, and ultimately the service provider, makes the money. VM make next to nothing.

See your MP and campaign for a change in the law.  Nothing else will work.

This problem has been going on forever and a day, The Mobile operators are aware of it, Ofcom are aware of it. Really the only way you MAY get any traction is as you suggest, lobbying your MP. Preferably your Euro MP as if it ever got as far as the European legislators, something may get done.

0 Kudos