Menu
M37
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

premium text messages via scam

Just read my bill and have paid £18 (4 x £4.50) for a premium text message from 700046078.

Did receive 4 text messages from a 4 figure number but did not reply. Nervous to reply "Stop" as requested because I thought I might incur a charge but I did anyway. How do I stop this happening again. I am 80+ and cannot afford these charges.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: premium text messages via scam

OK here is the information on that number

The number you checked belongs to:

• Short code number:66299
  • Service description:66299 - Shared Short Code
  • Contact details:03333137900 or customercare.uk@oxygen8.com

This service is provided by Oxygen8 Communications and managed by Oxygen8 Communications.

You could text STOP to 66299 (Standard Text Charge) or if you pefer

Ring them on the number given (comes out of standard allowance)

Or lastly email them. Personally I would text STOP then contact them by phone to make sure

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi M37,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum. It's great to see that enlli has given you detailed advice about the premium rate texts that you have received. I understand how worrying it is when you are charged for premium rate texts. 

Please have a look at our online help pages about this: A quick guide to premium messaging on your mobile.

If you would like to discuss these charges further, please give us a call on 789 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile) or 0345 6000 789 (from any other phone) or 150 (free from a Virgin Media landline). You can also get in touch with us via WebChat: Contact Us. 

Let us know how you get on with this.

Many thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
pjp1951
Just joined
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info. I don't understand why Virgin can't stop this from their end. This is for my wife's phone and the contract is due for renewal this month. If they can't sort it I won't be renewing.

Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

M37 wrote:

Just read my bill and have paid £18 (4 x £4.50) for a premium text message from 700046078.

Did receive 4 text messages from a 4 figure number but did not reply. Nervous to reply "Stop" as requested because I thought I might incur a charge but I did anyway. How do I stop this happening again. I am 80+ and cannot afford these charges.

I find it hard to understand whereby merely receiving a text, and without any reply being made or the text being acknowledged, somehow allows the provider to charge premium rates for a service neither asked for nor wanted.

Follow the advice here: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-do-i-stop-unwanted-premium-rate-texts and here: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/im-being-charged-for-unwanted-premium-rate-text-messag... to stop these parasites from plundering your account.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos