Menu
Snaney
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

premium text charging and the 44 prefix

Daddy Bear, Mummy Bear and Baby Bear are all Virgin Mobile customers.  However, Baby Bear is now getting a premium text charge every time she sends a text to Mummy Bear.  The received wisdom on this forum is to remove the 44 prefix from the phone number used, as confirmed today by phoning 789.  It hasn't worked, however, and Baby Bear is still getting charged for texts to Mummy Bear. 

Curiously this started only at the beginning of this billing period - looking at the details on recent charges Mummy Bear's number didn't have a 44 prefix beforehand and now does.  As I said, Baby Bear has edited Mummy Bear's phone number to remove the 44 prefix, but it still shows up in recent charges.

Even more curiously, the phone numbers I use for both the other Bears are prefixed by 44, and I don't get charged for sending a premium text.

Hot porridge, and then bed.

Snaney

0 Kudos
philiplondon
Tuning in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: premium text charging and the 44 prefix

Same problem I have telephoned them about - my sisters number has been charged to me three time at 15 pence a time and recorded as a premium text.  I also noticed the numbers starting in 44.  They told me they could not do anything until the bill is produced and at that point I need to call back to have the charges looked at if they do get charged to me as it stands now.  

Why can't they just sort it out themselves without me having to call back after meticulously checking through my, at present, 26 page phone bill to find why I have these 'recent usage' charges on my account?  I have told them this is obviously wrong as I am not charged for the number ten seconds earlier and I have 1000 free minutes to other mobile networks which as I have 898 left this billing period I have obviously not exceeded!!

It took the person on the phone ten minutes to answer, then another ten minutes of putting me on and off of hold to even get their head around what I was talking about!

teabag
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just what I needed - a nice story before bed. lol

I have a few numbers stored with the +44 and have been using them for a year or more and have never been charged yet, so I think that excuse can be thrown out the window.

Your not alone with the problem, how much is baby bear being charged, 40p or 15p a text ?, I hope that when you rang 789 - they offered to refund the charges, going by some older posts, a call has been needed each month to get the charges refunded.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
BexTech
Superfast
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hope I don't get charged as I've always had my numbers stored as +44 for as long as had mobile as travel abroad and don't want to mess about adding +44 and removing the 0, when abroad and then swapping back again when home.
0 Kudos
Snaney
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The word bogus is not in the Bears' vocabulary, but there does seem to be something contradictory here.  We came to Virgin Mobile only recently, having been with another provider for many years.  This never happened there, but seems to be fairly commonplace here.  For some but not others, clearly. 

Being a Bear, I'm not technically minded, but it would seem to be buggy systems somewhere.  As I said, the issue only appeared at the beginning of a new billing period.

Snaney

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

I'm really sorry that you've had some trouble with the premium texts.

We're aware of this issue and we're working to get this fixed. If you've been affected by this, please give us a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789. We can credit you for this.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Snaney,

Did you manage to give us a call regarding this?

Please let me know if you need any more info regarding the texts issue.

Hope you're well

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
gcress6
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This is happening to a mobile I pay for but my Granddaughter uses. We have made sure the number is entered correctly beginning with 0 in her mobile but when she texts a certain number, just one particular number, it appears on your system with prefix 44 and the 0 missing. The number is being charged as a Premium Rate number at 15p.

Please can you resolve this issue or tell us how we can resolve it avoiding the obvious

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi gcress6,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you're having issues with this number. I want to get to the bottom of it for you. Are you able to PM me the full name on the account, your mobile number and 3 characters of your password? Can you also send the number in question that you get charged for messaging?

You can send me a PM by clicking on the image of my face and selecting the send me a message option on the right.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What's the dial code - the first five digits of the number including the 07

It seems Virgin are a bit slow at adding new codes to their system. They are being barred from being called, maybe they are being treated as premium texts for that reason?

Just an idea...

0 Kudos