Menu
lumatrix
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

phone requires mini SIM I have normal SIM will Virgin exchange?

I just ordered 2x LGL20 phones as an upgrade to a couple of my phones.  However they require micro SIMS and my current phones have standard SIMS.  Any suggestions please?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: phone requires mini SIM I have normal SIM will Virgin exchange?

You can phone 789, from existing phone(s) and ask for a micro sim replacement for that number (will have to do this for each phone) 

You will need to make it clear you want a replacement one NOT a new one, they will then send you one. Once you get it, put into new phone, then activate it either by texting from old phone, or e-mail. Takes about 2 hours to do, but can be  a bit longer.

I have just done this with my phone, and sim arrived 3 days after ordering, and when I sent the text to activate, old sim went dead about 1 hour later, then new sim became active about 15 mins later. 

Was fairly easy and painless, just need to ensure when you phone, they understand you want to swap the existing sim for a micro sim on the same number.

Hope this helps, Smiley Happy

All Replies
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can phone 789, from existing phone(s) and ask for a micro sim replacement for that number (will have to do this for each phone) 

You will need to make it clear you want a replacement one NOT a new one, they will then send you one. Once you get it, put into new phone, then activate it either by texting from old phone, or e-mail. Takes about 2 hours to do, but can be  a bit longer.

I have just done this with my phone, and sim arrived 3 days after ordering, and when I sent the text to activate, old sim went dead about 1 hour later, then new sim became active about 15 mins later. 

Was fairly easy and painless, just need to ensure when you phone, they understand you want to swap the existing sim for a micro sim on the same number.

Hope this helps, Smiley Happy

lumatrix
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just what I needed thanks very much.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

price can depend on who you speak to - it should be free but if you get offshore they seem to want to charge £5 per sim - obvious advice is say no - best option is 789 and the thinking of leaving people - they seem to do much more than that and in my experience will sort it out for free without fuss

Tony
0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

adacom wrote:

price can depend on who you speak to - it should be free but if you get offshore they seem to want to charge £5 per sim - obvious advice is say no - best option is 789 and the thinking of leaving people - they seem to do much more than that and in my experience will sort it out for free without fuss

Best time to phone is weekdays, between 8am and 8pm, as that seems to be the 'local) ie..here in UK service people, 

Any other times (weekends & late evenings) you get the offshore (non UK) people who just read from a script and have absolutely NO idea whatsoever...Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You can also go into a VM shop and they'll provide the sims and do it for you on the spot, If I upgrade I always go in a VM store collect the phone and do a sim swap (If necessary)

0 Kudos
ericos
Dialled in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

According to what I was told here & in a Virgin Mobile shop they dont do that in the shop. They will give you a new  sim with different number  but cant give you a different size sim with the same number as your old one, you have to do it via 789, that's what I was told anyway.

Got nano replacements for standards earlier this year for me & wife, cards were free with optional £1.99 postage for next day delivery. Quick & easy process.

photo speedtest.png
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

ericos wrote:

According to what I was told here & in a Virgin Mobile shop they dont do that in the shop. They will give you a new  sim with different number  but cant give you a different size sim with the same number as your old one, you have to do it via 789, that's what I was told anyway.

Got nano replacements for standards earlier this year for me & wife, cards were free with optional £1.99 postage for next day delivery. Quick & easy process.

Well they did it for me when I got my S4 in January 14, I told them I could cut my old sim but the system wouldn't allow it so the Lady went out the back got a new sim typed something in on the PC and 5 minutes later the sim had my number

0 Kudos
ericos
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough, may depend on  the particular shop...................or person who serves youMan Wink

photo speedtest.png
0 Kudos
HelenW1306
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I went in February to get a new phone and had to change from a normal SIM to micro SIM.  I left the store being told that it would take about 8 hours to activate the new SIM.  Eight weeks later I gave up waiting and went to Vodafone.  In the meantime I'd been back to the store a few times, talked to 789 numerous times, spoken to an adviser from here but each new SIM they provided continued to say "no service".  All I had wanted to do was keep the Virgin number I'd had for years!!!  I wish you lots of luck!!!

0 Kudos