Menu
michiej80
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

phone not working abroad

My mum is currently abroad and her phone has no network. I've advised rebooting, searching for network etc. She was told her phone was set up to use abroad but it isn't. Is there anything I can do as she isn't able to ring you
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: phone not working abroad

Hi michiej80

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy 

Sorry to hear your mum's having issues using her phone abroad. The best bet would be for her to call our team on +447953967967 from any other line to get some help with this.

Alternatively, just you could call us on 0345 600 0789 on your mum's behalf (you will need to be able to confirm the account password though) and we'll check into this for you.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Barking_Toad
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same issue with my iPhone -never had a problem when on O2 but changed to Virgin this Summer and on my first trip abroad I'm getting "No Service" - I've managed to get wi-fi so I'm trying to get it sorted and found this thread so I tried calling the number given in Mark_Y's reply using my girlfriend's phone and got "we're very busy, it might take ten minutes to answer your call" - not from bloody Spain it won't! NOT GOOD ENOUGH VIRGIN, I want a refund when I get home or you can stuff it and I'll go back to O2. What are you going to do about it then?
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

H Barking_Toad,

Sorry to hear this,

On our network, roaming is turned off by default for Pay Monthly customers. We're unable to compensate you for any lack of service abroad.

If you need any more info, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
PhoneAbroad
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Help and Support,

I guess I'll have to add my name to this list of people unhappy with Virgin's support for phones whilst abroad. I would like to activate my phone abroad but can't do without phoning your number. I didn't make the time to do so whilst in the UK.

1. I don't have a phone

2. It looks from the above that if I manage to borrow one, the kind person may well incur large charges because of the waiting times on your Help and Support line.

3. Even if I had activated the phone whilst in the UK it may not have worked.

Are you able to activate, deal with problems via emails rather than a slower service supplied by phone lines?

Many thanks,

Matthew

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Matthew,

Good question Smiley Happy

I'm afraid we're unable to pass DPA on the forums to get this sorted. If you're sending an email to one of our teams, you're likely to be waiting a few days before you receive a response. Calling us on +447953967967 from any other phone will be the quickest way to get this all sorted.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Barking_Toad
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

In response to your reply Mat_H, what the hell has roaming got to do with being able to make & receive calls and texts whilst abroad? Only the blind or biased could pretend that this is any decent kind of service... I'm not inclined to try phoning you again from Spain as it'll end up costing my girlfriend loads if I have to hold for ages just to be dealt with (which is very likely) Best advise customer services to be ready to receive both barrels when I get home.

Service when abroad turned off by default eh? That wasn't explained to me by pthe salesperson who bothered me and convinced me that leaving the provider with whom I'd had no problems in ten years would be a good idea. I'll repeat myself: NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Barking_Toad

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Enabling roaming provisions your account to make and receive calls and texts abroad, and we advise all customers to give us a quick call on 789 / 0345 600 0789 before you go away so we can configure your roaming options and go through the charges in the country you're visiting (just to make sure there's no nasty surprises on your bill when you get back).

I hope this explains things, but just give us a shout if we can offer further assistance.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Barking_Toad
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'd like to point out Mark, that at no stage during the effort to persuade me to leave O2 and join Virgin was I advised to call 789 and get roaming enabled. This was not necessary with my pervious provider so why would I expect it with the new one?

Please advise how I can get my phone enabled for use over here without it costing me a fortune to do so.

0 Kudos
TonyBrooks
Dialled in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Plenty of threads on this forum about the lack of service in Spain. Dating back to start of 2014 or so. No satisfactory explanation, no guarantee of a service so I cancelled and went to another supplier. Roaming being enabled was - perhaps still is not - any guarantee of making a call from Spain.
0 Kudos