Menu
bkl46
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

paygo daughter using mobile in france

PAYG phone and my daughter will be taking this on a school trip to france to txt home will she need data roaming on? Do we have to buy travel pass? she just need the availability to txt uk if needed.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: paygo daughter using mobile in france

Hi bkl46,

roaming needs to be on in order for the phone to connect to Virgin's partner network whilst abroad.

Sending a text will cost 1p.

She will not be able to use internet (excluding WIFI) without purchasing an EU Data Pass.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi bkl46,

you're fortunate Smiley Happy

It's pay monthly phones that seem to struggle with "Roaming".

By default roaming is ON for all Virgin Mobile pay as you go phones.

If you want to check. 

Log into your/daughter's Virgin Mobile account then click on  the "Plan and device" tab.

Go to "Manage my services" > "Roaming" should be ON & "International call barring" should be OFF.

Unless you want her to use mobile data whilst abroad she won't need an EU Travel Pass or data roaming on.

She will still be able to use free WIFI where available if WIFI is enabled on her phone.
(Ideal for sending photo's and video (or calling) via something like WhatsApp).

0 Kudos
bkl46
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for the reply roaming is on and international calls off as you said. I was sure I had clicked roaming off before now. Will this mean that her roaming will use her credit even when not sending txt or using internet services? she just wants to be able to use her phone re photos/camera not to upload them to any social media and to txt uk if needed.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi bkl46,

roaming needs to be on in order for the phone to connect to Virgin's partner network whilst abroad.

Sending a text will cost 1p.

She will not be able to use internet (excluding WIFI) without purchasing an EU Data Pass.

Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

bkl46 wrote:

Hi thanks for the reply roaming is on and international calls off as you said. I was sure I had clicked roaming off before now.

You probably switched off "Data roaming" on the handset. In order to data roam abroad then "Roaming" needs to switched on in your Virgin Mobile account settings.and "Data roaming" on the handset. 

bkl46 wrote:

Will this mean that her roaming will use her credit even when not sending txt or using internet services? she just wants to be able to use her phone re photos/camera not to upload them to any social media and to txt uk if needed.

Yes indeed, if you switch on data roaming without taking other measures then you probably will use up credit; apps will auto update, email will sync, photos upload etc. So switch off data roaming on the handset and use free Wi-Fi when available. I'd bet your daughter is probably expert at that already. Calls and SMS texts from France (and other countries) should still work provided that, in your VM account, you switch on "Roaming" and switch off "International call barring".

0 Kudos
bkl46
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi a big thank you and that confirms what we thought we needed to do.

0 Kudos