Menu
squarial
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

office 8 communication SCAM

My wife's phone has just been charged over £40 for premium texts.

She is adamant there was no subscribing on her part.

Speaking to Virgin they say they can not stop these texts and that more charges run into the previous month.

They gave me a number to contact for a refund but nobody answers.

Can any body advise.

(My wife's so unhappy wants to change to pay as you go) 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: office 8 communication SCAM

Hi squarial,

your wife will at some point have needed to sign up, perhaps she did so accidentally, e.g. not ticking a box or something.

Texting back "STOP" or  “STOP ALL” should end the service.

Try entering the number into EE's Third Party Services Checker to see if that gives you more contact information for the company such as email and contact them directly.

Or this site PhonepayPlus. They are the UK regulator for premium rate services if you think this has happened unfairly.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi squarial,

your wife will at some point have needed to sign up, perhaps she did so accidentally, e.g. not ticking a box or something.

Texting back "STOP" or  “STOP ALL” should end the service.

Try entering the number into EE's Third Party Services Checker to see if that gives you more contact information for the company such as email and contact them directly.

Or this site PhonepayPlus. They are the UK regulator for premium rate services if you think this has happened unfairly.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

J0hn
Super solver
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The text mentioned above is not the long number the charged texts arrive on, in the phone text history look for a text to a number with only six digits, normally starting with the number 6
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello squarial,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to the Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear that your wife is receiving premium rate text messages that she hasn't subscribed to. Has the infomation that AlexKid and J0hn provided helped with this?

If you require further help with this, please have a look at our online help pages about this: A quick guide to premium messaging on your mobile. You can also contact the PSA (Phone-paid Service Authority) here: http://psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers in order to obtain more information about the premium rate texts you are receiving and how to recover costs.

If you would like to discuss these charges further, please give us a call on 789 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile) or 0345 6000 789 (from any other phone) or 150 (free from a Virgin Media landline). You can also get in touch with us via WebChat: Contact Us. 

Let us know how you get on with this.

Many thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

squarial
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Following advice I found an email address for office 8 and sent them a strongly worded email.

They sent back offering a partial refund of £36 if we agreed not to pursue it.

So we decided to cut our losses (I found they had charged my wife a total of £58).

Apparently It will be in the form of a text which can be redeemed at a post office for cash. 

Will let you know as they said within the next 20 days.

In their email they state your phone company can block premium texts but virgin say they can not.

I suspect if this practice continues it will make people so wary they will not use any of these services.

One last thing. I have been told the PSA can find out where my wife's supposedly subscribed to this service

so I intend to pursue this.  Further update to follow :-)

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi squarial, 

Thanks for keeping in touch Smiley Happy

We look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Thanks

Mike  

0 Kudos