Menu
JDT
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

no sound on calls

I get no sound on calls. The other end can hear me, I can't hear them.

Makes no difference if I receive or make the call.

This is only a problem where I live (Five Ashes - East Sussex). If I go to a nearby town, then everything works perfectly.

It is also not a problem with the phone. Exact same thing happens with my partners phone - different make of phone (on EE). I can go to the top of the garden where we can see all around - good signal - just the same.

I have even tried my SIM in her phone - still just the same.

Texts work OK both ways. Incoming calls ring, just can't hear caller.

I think it must be a T-Mobile/EE phone base station problem but don't know how to take it further.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: no sound on calls

Hi JDT,

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy

Sorry to hear your experiencing issues with incoming calls.

I have checked and we have no faults currently listed for your area.

Due to the nature of your issue and the diagnostics you have already performed I would recommend giving us a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789 so we can take a further look at this for you.

Let us know how it goes.

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
JDT
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

Sorry to take so long to get back.

A few days ago got round to doing a bit more research. I live at a small rural village in East Sussex called Five Ashes (TN20 6JJ if you want to Google map it).

If I go west to to the next village Hadlow Down (only 1 mile away), sound on calls works perfectly. If I go north to the village of Mayfield - still no sound. Mayfield is on top of a hill. Go to the other side of that hill - sound works perfectly again!

Go south (about 1.5 miles) to a place called Cross-in -Hand, still no sound. Go further south - sound returns! Go to a town called Heathfield - to the SE, sound works once you get into the town. Not the side nearest to Cross-in-Hand though.

I test this by calling 789 on the phone and waiting for the ring tone. When in the non-working area a get no ring tone or voice even though the phone shows the call in progress.

So, in my opinion, a definite base station problem. But I am surprised no one else has complained about this by now! Even in this rural area there must be hundreds of Virgin / T Mobile / EE users.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JDT,

Thanks for coming back to us so soon on this, we're sorry to hear that you've been having some problems while calling near your home.

I've had a look in the area and looking from a 3G perspective, I can certainly see that the area you're in from time to time can experience some issues. You can see this from our helpful coverage checker here.

Looking at the 2G view in the area it does seem to have a better coverage for the moment, for calls texts and email this may be a better option for you. It may be worth giving our customer care team a call on 789/0345 600 0789 and just ask to maybe go through some settings for you.

If there's anything else that I can help you with please let us know.

Many thanks and all the best.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
JDT
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am on 2G only (one of those ancient Nokia C3-00, with the week++ battery life). However my wife's Android phone (on EE) has the same problem. Only in this area though. Got to ask around an see if anyone else in the village has problems. Just need time!

Will call the number you suggested and see if they can help.

Thanks again.

Edit: it's not a signal strength problem - 5 bars and still no sound on calls. And everything else works. Incoming calls ring - just cant hear anything.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JDT,

Thanks for the replySmiley Happy

It does look like this maybe down to a coverage issue in your area.

Let us know how you get on calling our mobile team.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Tipsta
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have exactly the same problem. Definitely a mast issue - EE need to sort this out. I am getting grumpy about it and will be leaving ee soon if it is not rectified.

Surely not difficult to recognise there is a problem with the mast!! Come on EE!!
0 Kudos
Tipsta
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JDT

Could you please let me know if you spoke to the help desk and had any luck with this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tipsta,

Thank you for you post, welcome to the Community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you're having similar issues to JDT, it's something that I'd like to help out with and would like to check the area you're in.

I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little red envelope near the top left of the page.

Thank you in advance.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos