Menu
jpennycook
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

no mobile data on new SIM for existing account

I've temporarily switched to an old phone (Nokia N8) that I used on Virgin Mobile before I got my newest phone (Sony Xperia Z3).  The Xperia had a catastrophic impact with a road at about 20 mph and is unusable (the screen is blank, and I can't even get it into recovery mode, which is annoying).

I visited my local Virgin Media shop yesterday, who gave me a new SIM card to put in the N8 (it takes a larger size).  The SIM card works for voice and SMS services, but not for mobile data.  The phone shows 3.5G available most of the time, but any attempt to connect to the Internet (e.g. download email) results in Connection failed / Connection unavailable.

The phone already had the Virgin Mobile APN settings configured, but I went to the relevant part of the VM website to get them sent out by SMS just in case.  I have also rebooted a number of times, and I have reinserted the SIM card at least twice.  According to my account, I have more than 600MB unused in my Data Allowance for this month.

Could you check to see what the problem is, please?  I'm hoping it's something simple (e.g. the new SIM has not been provisioned correctly).

0 Kudos
jpennycook
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: no mobile data on new SIM for existing account

I just tried the SIM in my Huawei E5330 Mobile WiFi device, and it doesn't work there either (full signal strength, APN configured, but no mobile data access). Once again, sending and receiving SMS works fine. I suspect a SIM or account problem.
0 Kudos
jpennycook
Dialled in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I spent some time on the phone to Tech Support on 789 (most of that probably taken up with the typical Virgin Media menu system - one reason I dislike ringing Virgin Media). They called me on my land line, did something unspecified, asked me to reboot my phone, and everything sprung to life.
Why wasn't this done when I got the SIM? This reminds me of the bad old days of NTL, when cable wouldn't work after installation, until I rang tech support, because the technicians didn't activate the service properly.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi jpennycook

Sorry to hear about your Sony Xperia Z3 coming to blows with the road surface and coming off second best.

The subsequent problems with your data connection will have been down to an account issue occurring after having the SIM card replaced.

Glad to see it is all working now and if you need any further assistance please let me know.

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos