Menu
sam7879
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

new sim only plan but not activated

Hi i have just bought a new sim only plan for £12 a month on pay monthly.i put tthe sim in but its not letting me make calls or txt.i have 2 sim only plans with virgin and the 1st one was activated sr8 away so when will this activate?quite frustrating as i cant make or send txts.i can recieve calls.i cant ring 789 as it says i have insufficient funds but that should be on a pay as you go.plz help?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
mpbella
Just joined
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: new sim only plan but not activated

I just received a new sim and had the same problem. A dozen calls ans several days latrer the problem is not fixed and with technical services who say it might take up to 5 days. I then purchased a payg sim as this was qucker than waiting 5 days and find it is stil not fixed. I asked for the new  sim to be linked to my long standing account and was told it couldn't be although i see kn the forum it can. I am so frstrated at not receiving a service i am paying for i will bw moving to an new mobile provider. Poor poor servce to a long standing virgin customer.

All Replies
Forum Team (Retired) Rita-B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi sam7879,

I can appreciate your frustration on this, and sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. Where did you purchase the sim from? It can take up to 48 hours for sim cards to be switched to a Sim only contract by a 3rd party retailer, and 24 hours when purchased directly via Virgin.

If you are still having problems please give our customer care team a call as we are unable to pass data protection on the forums. You can give us a call on 789 from the 1st Virgin sim, or 0845 6000 789 and we'll be able to look in to this further for you.

Kind Regards, 

Rita B
Help & Support Forum Team

0 Kudos
mpbella
Just joined
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I just received a new sim and had the same problem. A dozen calls ans several days latrer the problem is not fixed and with technical services who say it might take up to 5 days. I then purchased a payg sim as this was qucker than waiting 5 days and find it is stil not fixed. I asked for the new  sim to be linked to my long standing account and was told it couldn't be although i see kn the forum it can. I am so frstrated at not receiving a service i am paying for i will bw moving to an new mobile provider. Poor poor servce to a long standing virgin customer.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi mpbella

This isn't good to hear! Smiley Sad

Could you let me know if you've been able to get this fixed?

If you're still having issues, I'd love to help get this sorted for you.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Db307
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The exact same thing has just happened to me! I am really not happy!! I bought my sim only plan from carphone warehouse today at noon. The guy in the shop switched my sim over, and I didn't want to leave until it was working and he told me"virgin are slow it will take 2hrs to activate" but I won't have to do anything and within this time it will activate and then it will change from PAYG to contract and I can use it to phone 789 and give me PAC code to port old number. 12 hrs later it still hasn't activated and Ias I was sat there like a lemon waiting in case it happened at any time., I have been without a phone as I don't have a second phone to put my old sim into! So I tried to call carphone warehouse to sort this out (you would not believe how hard it is to contact the store directly - 8 phone calls later from central office to the wrong store to the sales team thought to virgin then back to CPW then Virgin then back to the CPW sales them customer service half of which were to 0845 and 0870 numbers costing me a bomb, still no resolution as virgin just transferred me through to sales team who had by then gone home!  So now I have to phone back tomorrow (or revisit shop) and basically the summary was CPW blame virgin and virgin blame CPW!! What utter atrocious customer service!  

SUMMARY: I have bought a SIM contract, I have a phone that DOES not work! I can't speak to a competent person who won't pass me through to someone else to sort it out! I have spent over £10 on making phonecalls ( more than my monthly line rental!) wasted half a day, and now have to find time to visit shop when I'm supposed to be at work. Someone had better compensate me for this and I don't care if it's CPW or virgin !!! I asked the people I spoke to to log my calls and they said they couldn't because my sim was not registerd so I don't have an account!! Utter joke.

HOW on earth do I get what I paid for and how Long will it take???????!!

0 Kudos
pwatson16
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Go have a look at my post on the forum, I've had the same issue and they're having the cheek to bill me from the day of activation from the credit they provide you ONLY once you go over your allowances on BOTH my accounts. My advice, cancel it and go elsewhere, they have NO IDEA what they are doing.   

Forum Team (Retired) Rita-B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Db307,

Thank you for your post and i am so sorry to hear about the issues you have had activating your sim card and the time taken and inconvenience caused.

Sim cards can take up to 24 hours to be active. Please let us know how you get on so i can personally get this sorted for you.

Rita B
Help & Support Forum Team

0 Kudos
Db307
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It only takes 24 h if it is processed correctly. In this case it wasn't so had to do it from scratch with virgin. Finally sorted today, only to realise I have no service or only 1 bAr anywhere in my house!,, this is a never ending nightmare!

virgin customer service don't seem to understand English- have made 9 phonecalls today to sort out issue to no avail.

tried to cancel contract - they told me to call back tomorrow!

it has now been 48 hrs that I have had no phone. Now I am so angry, it isn't enough to cancel. Virgin need to compensate me for out of pocket expenses where I have had to use an alternative PAYG phone just to have a phone!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Db307

Really sorry to hear about this.

I've sent you a PM so we can take a closer look into this for you - just reply to the PM if you have any questions Smiley Happy

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
mjfbv
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Same thing is happening to me...Last thrusday I went to carphone warehouse and I signed an agreement for two sim only plans and until now I dont have the plan activated...my account iant yet activated! ITS BEEN A WEEK! This is very inconvenient. For the last couple days I have been on the phone with 789 and people from carphone warehouse and they only thing they suggest is...wait! I have been waiting and nothing happens! I will have to cancel it and go to another provider...I cannot understand how this is taking so long!
0 Kudos