Menu
malkybck
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

new phone, sim only deal

hi everyone,

this is maybe a stupid question, but im currently on the £10 per month sim only deal using a blackberry.  i've just been given my sisters iphone as she has upgraded, so i just wondered what i do to transfer the sim from my blackberry to the iphone? as its a differant type of sim card that goes into an iphone. i want to keep the same phone number if possible.

hope someone can help,

cheers,

Malky

0 Kudos
malkybck
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: new phone, sim only deal

i've just had the phone unlocked now so am ready to use it Smiley Happy 

what do i do next to keep my current virgin account and phone number?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ring 789 - thinking of leaving or whatever it is - tell them you want a sim for the iphone - the micro and nano sim are one and the same from VM - you just break the nano out if thats what you need - not sure what they call the changeover but tell them you want to keep the same number - get the replacement sim send a text from your old phone to the number they give - put the new sim in the iphone and the old sim will be turned off and the new one activated

it should be free - they may try to charge you  fiver - have non of it - thats only if you have lost your sim or damaged it - one or the other

Tony
0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

On your current phone, call 789, and choose the mobile option, and accounts. When they answer, explain you want a replacement SIM, in the new size, and that you want to activate yourself (if you let them activate it then, you will be without a phone for a few days!!) 

Explain that it is a replacement, NOT a new sim, and they should be able to post one out to you, in a couple of days.

When it arrives, all you need to do is pop it into your new phone, text 'ready' on your old phone to the supplied number, and shortly, the old SIM will become 'dead' and the new one 'live' though there may be a short time when both are not active, (when I did this a while ago, it was about 20 mins or so) 

From there on, you have the old number on the new phone. All that you need to do is transfer any data from old to new phones..

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi malkybck,

Welcome to the forumSmiley Happy and thanks for posting with us.

I can see the community has been helping you out which is great.

Did you manage to get this sorted in the end?

Let us know if you need anything else.

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
malkybck
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

hi everyone, thanks for the replies,  been away for the weekend so sorry for the delay in replying.

not tried this yet but will give it a go tomorrow morning and let you know how i get on.

cheers

0 Kudos
malkybck
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

hi everyone, i phoned up and ordered the sim and was told i'd have it by the next day.

still no sign of it 3 days later, so i just put my tracking number into the yodel website and it says they cant find the parcel details?

any ideas what i should do?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

which sim do you actually need - nano or micro - if its the micro then if you have an old one use that as a template - good pair of scissors and a nail file to smooth the edges - took me 2 minutes to do one earlier - nano are a bit more difficult as they are not much bigger than the circuit

at your own risk obviously

Tony
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi malkybck,

Thanks for your update.

The SIM can take a few days in the post unless next day delivery was requested but this is chargeable.

Has your SIM arrived?

Speak soon.

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
malkybck
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

yes thanks, got the sim now but having minor problems with it i wonder if anyone could help?

at my place of work my old phone was able to find 3G signal, and also connect to a BT openzone. after using the iphone for a couple of days with this new sim card i've found i get no service if moving around with the phone, i have to stand it upright keeping it still to find 3G. sometimes it does find GPRS whilst moving around, but when i send texts/load internet pages whilst on GPRS things either dont work at all or take much much longer to load than my old phone did. annoyingly, the iphone also doesnt find the BT openzone.

i know this will probably be to do with the phone rather than the sim card but i just wondered if anyone had any ideas whats up with it?

cheers Smiley Happy
0 Kudos