Menu
deko_ig
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

need to keep the old SIM while switching to a new sim abroad

I have an iPhone 6 with the Virgin SIM right now.  I have moved a country and want to have a new sim with a local telephone number.  I understand that I have to request an unlock to Virgin to have a new SIN. Can I keep the 2 SIMs on the same iPhone by manually switching them until I inform everyone that the old UK number should not be used?

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: need to keep the old SIM while switching to a new sim abroad

You should be able to do so for as long as the Virgin SIM remains active. If you cancel your Virgin airtime contract early then you might have to pay any outstanding future contract charges. And you will also have to pay off the phone if that was not bought outright.

If yours is a PAYG Virgin SIM then you will probably need at least one chargeable event every 180 days to keep the SIM active.

I would try a local SIM and establish if the phone is locked or not. If the phone is locked then get Virgin to unlock it before you cease the UK Virgin SIM otherwise you might find it very difficult to get it permanently unlocked elsewhere.

You could consider permanently diverting your Virgin account to voicemail. Change the greeting to inform callers of your new number.

0 Kudos