Menu
malkybck
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

mobile usage and live chat problems

hi, have been with virgin for a long time now and never had any problems when i had a blackberry. however i upgraded to an iphone a few months ago and ever since have had numerous internet usage problems which cant possibly be my fault.  i am connected to wifi for almost 24 hours a day, the only time im not is travelling between work and home. i never went over my usage once with a blackberry, but about 2 weeks after getting my iphone i suddenly got three texts within minutes of each other... 'you've used 75% of your data, 95% of your data, 100% of your data'.   whilst i was connected to my home wifi! 

i asked for help on here but didnt really get an answer other than it might have been an update which didnt really make sense to me, so i tried getting on to your live chat but either it kept saying no agents were available, or when i finally managed to connect nobody would bother replying to me! 

i decided just to leave it and watch closely what happened the next month, i managed to make it to the last day of my month when i got the 3 texts again so i only got a £1 charge this time. next month i got it about 3 days before.. now though this month, 2 weeks in and its happened again. 3 texts in one go saying i'd gone over my usage.  i've had a look at my recent usage and it appears its using data 24 hours a day including through the night :/ my wifi is on all the time and my phone is connected to it so this is not possible. 

again today i've been trying to use live chat,  i've managed to connect two times and am still currently connected to one now but nobody is answering! Smiley Sad

could someone please help me find a solution here?  it doesnt make sense to me how im being charged when connected to wifi. am i going to have to update the tarriff to 2gb? if so can i do it now so i dont incur any charges this month?  as it appears if i update it the update wont take place till my month refreshes

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: mobile usage and live chat problems

Hi Malkybck,

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you've had some issues with mobile data being used quickly on the phone. I believe I know what the issue is.

In iOS9, a feature was released to help phones that sometimes have poor network connections over Wi-Fi. This setting is called Wi-Fi assist.

It can be disabled by going to Settings > Mobile Data and scrolling all the way down to the bottom.

Let me know if this is enabled. I look forward to hearing from you Smiley Happy

Thanks.

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
malkybck
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hi, thanks for the reply. that option is not in my settings but i dont have ios 9 yet. any other ideas?

i had to turn the data on again the other day when away for the day and forgot to turn it off when i got home, i then got charged again for using data during the night even though i was connected to wifi again so my charges for this month are already at £5 Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me malkybck Smiley Happy

It sounds like your phone is using data in the background. Phones will disconnect from Wi-Fi after long periods of inactivity.

I would advise to disable Background app refresh by going into Settings > General Background Refresh and also disable the Use mobile data setting in the app store.

Give this a go for me and let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
malkybck
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Matt, I already had both those settings turned off so it can't be that either Smiley Sad I've decided although not happy at all about it to upgrade my tariff to the 2gb internet one for 15 quid a month as I'd rather that than have to pay over 20 quid again.

Just don't understand how this didn't happen on a blackberry but does on an iPhone?

I've just tried to change he tariff online and it's not working, tried live chat again and nobody's replying, so am now trying to make a Virgin media account to see if that gets me a response in live chat but they want a 2 digit area code which is nowhere to be seen on my bills or emails.

My month refreshes tomorrow and I really can't be bothered with going through this again, please help me get it changed to the 15 quid one until we can work out why I'm going over my usage.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Malkybck,

Thanks for coming to me Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you're still having issues with this. It seems very odd that you're still having issues with this even with these settings turned off. There must be something somewhere causing this fault. My best advice would be to keep data disabled when you don't need to use it for the time being. I'll look into other potential settings causing this.

The 2 digit area code is related to Virgin Media customers, the Virgin Mobile account page can be found here.

Changing your tariff isn't something that we would do over the forums. Please give us a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789 and we'll get this sorted for you in no time Smiley Happy

Let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How are you getting on with this malkybck?

Please let me know if you need anything at all Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
malkybck
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hi, have been getting on fine with this since i upgraded to 2gb untill this month.  the usage seems to be getting even worse, i havnt gone over yet but have just reached 75% with a whole week left which hasnt happened before.  had a quick glance at yesterdays usage and it says i used 117mb in about 3 hours. i was using the internet at this time but just to view forums like this one, and facebook.  will keep an eye on it for now and let you know how i get on but there defintely seems to be something using the internet that shouldnt be. it's still using data during the night whilst i sleep too which makes no sense.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Malkybck,

Thanks for coming back to me Smiley Happy

I mentioned in my previous post above regarding background data refresh. Are you able to turn this on for me? It sounds like the phone is still using data in the background.

Give this a go and let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How are you getting on with this Malkyback? 

Let me know if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos