Menu
brendell
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

mobile phone Samsung S5. data usage

My S5 has been using my data allowance at night whilst I am asleep. What do I need to stop this ?

0 Kudos
havince
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: mobile phone Samsung S5. data usage

hi. iv just found this with mine and my girlfriends contracts. i apparently used 4GB of data in 2 1/2 weeks leaving me 1 1/2 weeks with no mobile data at all. it got refreshed today.

when i check my online usage its showinh using intenet at night and also when at home even tho our mobiles connect to the virgin wifi automatically as soon as we are in reach.

iv asked on here for an explanation as to what happened

my girlfriends phone rung up £1.50 in charges for internet between 10 pm and 4am wed night and thur morning even tho she has spare data and was at home

its beyond a joke might aswell just rob me
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The few KB taken just after midnight is easy to explain.

Your phone uses data all the time, bits here and there, it's not a lot but it happens. If you are connected to a wifi router, your phone will use that by default, but otherwise it will use your mobile data.If you've seen a big chunk of data disappear, it's likely your phone has been downloading an update to its operating system, or your offline satnav has been updating its map, or a whole bunch of apps have been given permission to update themselves whenever they feel like it.

Data gets used even when your phone is in standby Some phones will disable wifi after a short time in standby just to save battery. If mobile data is on, they will use that instead, otherwise they will tend to just wait 'til there's a data connection.

The easiest way to stop all this is to turn mobile data off.

Any mobile data that you use in any given day is rolled up into one total that's added to your account at some time after midnight.

This all means you can have data taken off your allowance a) even if you aren't using the internet yourself and b) even when you think it should be coming from somewhere other than your limited and/or chargeable mobile data.

When you exceed your data allowance, any usage of the internet is charged at £1 per day (£1 per 100MB per day if you are on PAYG). This includes the background data your phone uses by itself.

It's not a scam - you've either

• got a handset you don't need because you're not using data but the phone is
  • not got enough data in your package to cover your needs and those of the handset you chose
  • Installed an app which is eating all your data.

0 Kudos
havince
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

so again why did it charge her £1.50 for internet usage when she still over 1gb spare in her monthly allowance. regardless of disconection from the wifi (which didnt happen) it still shouldnt happen

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Havince,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear the charge was applied within the allowance.

So we can look into why this has happened, give us a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789. The team can find out why the charge was applied.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Havince,

Did you manage to give us a call regarding the issues with the data usage?

Let me know if you need anything from me Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos