Menu
sparrow262
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

mobile not working after inserting new sim card

I had a Samsung mobile.phone with a Virgin sim card some years ago.   The phone would no longer charge so like many things it was put in a drawer and forgotten about,   A  few days ago I took the card out and put it in another  newer phone to see if it would work, but no success.   I contacted Virgin and they sent me a new Sim card.   I put it in contacted Virgin and ask them to activate the phone.   They did so but there was no response on the phone.   No matter what we tried I could not get the phone to work.    Has any one out there any ideas that might help.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: mobile not working after inserting new sim card

sparrow262 wrote:

...   I contacted Virgin and they sent me a new Sim card.   I put it in contacted Virgin and ask them to activate the phone.   They did so but there was no response on the phone.   No matter what we tried I could not get the phone to work.    Has any one out there any ideas that might help.

Hi sparrow262,

are you sure that your phone is unlocked / open to the Virgin network?

What does your phone display when turned on with your new SIM in?

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

sparrow262 wrote:

...   I contacted Virgin and they sent me a new Sim card.   I put it in contacted Virgin and ask them to activate the phone.   They did so but there was no response on the phone.   No matter what we tried I could not get the phone to work.    Has any one out there any ideas that might help.

Hi sparrow262,

are you sure that your phone is unlocked / open to the Virgin network?

What does your phone display when turned on with your new SIM in?

0 Kudos
sparrow262
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So far as I know the phone is unlocked. The phone displays what was on the phone prior to my daughter giving me it (i.e. Samsung set up) In settings the phone displays nothing - no network, no number no nothing.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi sparrow262,

are you able to put your new Virgin SIM into another Virgin or unlocked phone just to check that the SIM is active and connects to the network?

0 Kudos
Bigga
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I presume this was a pay as you go sim card? I may be wrong (assume probably) but I thought that after a certain time of not being used, pay as you go cards were disconnected  so that the number could be reallocated to someone else. I assume Virgin checked the number and your account were still active? 

Bigga

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bigga,

you are correct:

"3.8 Keep talking!: You need to use our Services at least once within any 90 day period either by making a chargeable call or sending a text message. If you don’t we may suspend your access to the Services and cancel this Agreement. If we cancel this Agreement, you may lose your phone number and any unused Top Up credit on your account (see Clause 10.3). We don’t really want to lose you as a customer so please ensure you keep talking or texting!"

This is most likely what had happened and why Virgin sent the OP a replacement SIM card.

Bigga
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Alexkid,

Was right about something lol, makes a change.....

Bigga

0 Kudos
sparrow262
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but the phone is my wife's and she is not using it for the time being.   So far as I know the phone is unlocked.    It displays various apps from a previous life, but it will not connect and  keeps asking to insert sim card, .which is already in.  Unfortunately there is no Viirgin Media centre in our area otherwise I would go to them.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi sparrow262,

what make and model of phone is it that you are trying to use?

Are you sure the SIM is inserted correctly?

Did you try as I suggested previously to check that the SIM is active by trying it in another phone?

0 Kudos