Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

mobile deals - trying to understand them and see through the fog

i have a sim only deal - its simple its a fiver a month - 150minutes or there abouts and unlimited texts - no idea on data its turned off

i want to change it and thats where it gets complicated - tried a call to the mobile people and all but gave up - they were confused - i was confused - so agreed to look again

so - if i start on the main page it offers me half a dozen deals - forgetting the first 2 or 3 i get to unlimited calls and texts - i know thats not exactly true as there is a fair use policy - trying to find out what that is is the first problem - the call centre people just keep repeating the same thing - unlimited Woman Sad- prices vary from about £8/month to £15 [i think] - difference is data which as i say i dont want - so can anybody state what unlimited actually means

so i will have the £8 a month i tell the sales team - fine we will send you a sim - thats the second problem - i dont need a sim as i have a sim only deal - confusion from sales - ermmm not sure if we can do that - ok just transfer my virgin number - hmmm again that seems too difficult - so i get the idea that these deals are for non VM users or at best non VM registered sims - i can start again but i get a new number that i dont want

ahh but you can upgrade your deal via your account is the bright idea of sales - so we go there - we then get to the 3rd or is it 4th problem - non of the deals that are on the come and join us page are on the account page - they are all different and more expensive

i want to stay with VM - yes i know there are better providers but the free to other VM mobiles is useful as a lot of my contacts are on VM - but its not easy

can anybody who takes the time to read this throw some light on the VM fog - and to the VM people please dont say you would love to help and i should ring 789 or whatever - i have done that and chaos reigns there - i knew more than the person i spoke to or seemed to

Tony
0 Kudos
Russl
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: mobile deals - trying to understand them and see through the fog

Have you seen the T & C page?

http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/our-service.html#12

Virgin Media Mobile Acceptable Use Policy Pay Monthly

Virgin Media’s mobile services (“our services”) are for private individual use only (i.e. not for business or commercial use). As such, you must not use our services in any way that is not in keeping with that reasonably expected of a private individual.

You are liable for all use of all accounts in your name, irrespective of use without your knowledge and/or consent.

Further, you must not use our services in any way that is unlawful or illegal or in any way to the detriment of other users. You also must not allow anybody using our services provided to you in any way that is unlawful or illegal or in any way to the detriment of other users or the network.

Data usage on some Virgin Media tariffs is for mobile internet services and data consumption actually on your handset. It does not include using your handset as a modem to connect other devices such as laptops and tablets - also known as "Tethering". Please refer to your terms and conditions and other communications from Virgin Media to check whether this applies on your tariff. This applies to all new and upgrading customers since 24 January 2013.

Virgin Media reserves the right to impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission if your data usage is excessive and not in keeping with that reasonably expected of a private individual.

For customers who joined Virgin Media after 25 June 2012 excessive use over 3.5GB of data per calendar month will result in their maximum bandwidth being restricted to 3G speeds (384kbit/s downstream, 200kbit/s upstream) on our network. For customers who joined before 25 June 2012 excessive use over 2GB of data per calendar month will result in this restriction being applied. This policy will apply until the end of the calendar month, when it will be automatically removed. We reserve the right to review these usage levels from time to time. At this reduced speed, customers will still be able to browse web pages, send/receive emails, and stream audio and video all at 3G data speeds, but peer-to-peer and large file downloads/uploads will be slower than normal.

As an example, a customer would have to watch over 16 hours of high quality video before that threshold is reached. Typically far less than 0.25% of our customers will be affected on a monthly basis.

Your SIM is for use in the device applicable to your tariff. You cannot put your voice SIM into anything other than a mobile phone handset, for example a mobile broadband dongle, laptop or tablet.

0 Kudos
Russl
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I hope this helps. as for the customer service issue, I can not help.

Russ

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

yes i have read them - have you? - it gives chapter and verse about mobile data - i say above i have it turned off so thats of no interest - without reading every sentence i see no reference to what unlimited calls mean - it certainly does not mean infinity as far as i know - same for texts

thats only part of what i need to know - as yet all i know is nothing - which is about the same as the call centre person i spoke to

Tony
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Before the recent changes to the sim-only plans, their fair usage was listed in the T&C's - which were "3,000 minutes, 3,000 texts and 3.5GB of data".

Can not find any up to date fair usage policy's with the new sims.

Why did you not take the "thinking of leaving us" option when you phoned up ?
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

teabag wrote:
Before the recent changes to the sim-only plans, their fair usage was listed in the T&C's - which were "3,000 minutes, 3,000 texts and 3.5GB of data".

Can not find any up to date fair usage policy's with the new sims.

Why did you not take the "thinking of leaving us" option when you phoned up ?

that was about my understanding of the fair use policy which will be fine - i dont need infinity - i will do the thinking of leaving next - it usually gets to that but this seemed to start off simple and then just went down hill 

Tony
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi adacom,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry about all the confusion with getting your tariff changed.

I'm not going to ask you to phoneSmiley Happy instead I'm going to send you a PM to see if I can get this sorted for you.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thanks Stephen - i did call again and got someone in the UK - chalk and cheese - 1st sim sorted - no problem whatsoever - 2nd sim in abeyance - off shore were calling me back yesterday - firm commitment - yep you guessed - they never phoned but i now have all the info and will make sure its the UK i speak to when i am ready to do the other sim - i know full well not to bother with offshore for BB but have always found the mobile people to be ok - i have now learned not to bother them again 

Tony
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi adacom,

Thanks for the reply and update. Glad to hear your halfway thereSmiley Happy

Hope the second SIM goes smoothly for you when your ready. You could always use the PM I gave you if you wished.

Take care

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules