Menu
donna55
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

mobile data usage

I have an iphone 6 and had mobile data usage at 4am in the morning despite being asleep and on the house wifi so I turned off mobile data for all apps except those I needed but it is still using mobile data when supposedly on wifi and when I'm not the phone, is there any tracking on this phone to see what is using it and turn if off!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: mobile data usage

Your phone uses data all the time, bits here and there, it's not a lot but it happens. If you are connected to a wifi router, your phone will use that by default, but otherwise it will use your mobile data. The only way to stop this is to turn mobile data off.

Any mobile data that you use in any given day is rolled up into one total that's added to your account at some time after midnight.

Data gets used even when your phone is in standby Some phones will disable wifi after a short time in standby just to save battery. If mobile data is on, they will use that instead, otherwise they will tend to just wait 'til there's a data connection.

This all means you can have data taken off your allowance a) even if you aren't using the internet yourself and b) even when you think it should be coming from somewhere other than your limited and/or chargeable mobile data.

All Replies
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Donna55,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you've had some trouble with mobile data usage. I want to get this all sorted for you. Are you able to go into Settings > Mobile Data and scroll to the bottom to see if Wi-Fi assist is turned on?

This will enable mobile data to be used if the Wireless connection is poor. I'd advise to turn this off.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
donna55
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Wifi assist is turned off...would welcome any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your phone uses data all the time, bits here and there, it's not a lot but it happens. If you are connected to a wifi router, your phone will use that by default, but otherwise it will use your mobile data. The only way to stop this is to turn mobile data off.

Any mobile data that you use in any given day is rolled up into one total that's added to your account at some time after midnight.

Data gets used even when your phone is in standby Some phones will disable wifi after a short time in standby just to save battery. If mobile data is on, they will use that instead, otherwise they will tend to just wait 'til there's a data connection.

This all means you can have data taken off your allowance a) even if you aren't using the internet yourself and b) even when you think it should be coming from somewhere other than your limited and/or chargeable mobile data.