Menu
84bazza84
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

mobile data speed

Does VM 'throttle' my data speed? Just moved into new property and don't have broadband until end of month so heavily relying on mobile internet. I have 4gb data package but currently next to unusable. Speed test is always 0.35mbps. If they are slowing me down, what are their rules i.e after x amount of data per day etc? Thanks
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: mobile data speed

Once you hit 3½ GB you get slowed to 3G speed until the end of the calendar month.

Normally you're on HSPA or HSPA+ which has the potential for a download in the region of 7 to 14mbps but 3G is 0.38mbps.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No, I've never been throttled, but my allowance is only 1GB anyway.

My understanding is as yours - it's only the unlimited data plan that gets throttled at the 3½ GB mark. However I've seen people complaining on this forum that they have been throttled even though they aren't on unlimited.

Either way - it doesn't work on refresh date - it's by calendar month, so everyone who's being throttled gets reset on the first day of the month.

If it's not that you've exceeded a usage threshold, it could just be that your new property has poorer coverage. If it's an easy enough test, next time you're near your old property, run a speed test and see if it's back at its old levels.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Once you hit 3½ GB you get slowed to 3G speed until the end of the calendar month.

Normally you're on HSPA or HSPA+ which has the potential for a download in the region of 7 to 14mbps but 3G is 0.38mbps.

0 Kudos
84bazza84
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gorf and thank you for your reply. My allowance was renewed yesterday so phoned 789 (this morning before your msg) and she told me because I wasn't on unlimited data they wouldn't slow me down and the problem would be my Nokia Lumia. So cleared history, reset etc and still the same! Guess she told me wrong. Have you ever been slowed down? Did you just except it or did you complain? Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No, I've never been throttled, but my allowance is only 1GB anyway.

My understanding is as yours - it's only the unlimited data plan that gets throttled at the 3½ GB mark. However I've seen people complaining on this forum that they have been throttled even though they aren't on unlimited.

Either way - it doesn't work on refresh date - it's by calendar month, so everyone who's being throttled gets reset on the first day of the month.

If it's not that you've exceeded a usage threshold, it could just be that your new property has poorer coverage. If it's an easy enough test, next time you're near your old property, run a speed test and see if it's back at its old levels.

0 Kudos
84bazza84
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for your reply Gorf. Right, I see! Coverage should be same as built house in back garden of old house haha plus was getting fast data until weekend, so your definitely right about what's going on! On 30 day rolling contract now so might start looking at different provider....that said, guess there all pretty much the same. Thanks mate.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi 84bazza84,

How's this looking for you now? If you're still getting slow speeds, I'd love to get it all checked out for you Smiley Happy

Please let me know how it's looking when you can. We can look into this further to find out exactly what's happened.

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
84bazza84
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat

Thanks for message. Yep, data still frustratingly slow (this morning was 0.13mbps and couldn't even download email).

Quick run down of what's been happening.

1/ Great data speed (4mbps +) until last weekend then suddenly slowed

2/ phoned 789 and was run through things to try on phone (clear history, reset, switch WiFi off, new browser...etc)

3/ joined forum and got great advise from Gorf

4/ phoned 789 again where I was informed that VM needed to reset my internet settings and this would take 2 hours but will solve problem.

5/ emailed theteam@virginmobile for which I'm awaiting a reply

I know slow internet isn't the end of the world but it is very frustrating so any help would be great Mat.

Thanks

Dan
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Dan Smiley Happy

I want to get to the bottom of this for you. So we can check this out, I've sent you a PM detailing the next steps.

Thanks for your patience,

Mat

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

The rule around throttling is when the 3.5gb limit is exceeded, the service is capped until the end of the month. There's no way to remove the cap I'm afraid.

The throttling depends on the usage per calendar month and not through your allowance. Keep an eye on it for me and let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
84bazza84
Joining in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat

Will do mate. Have good weekend and thanks again.

Dan
0 Kudos