Menu
jules45
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

keep getting charged for a picture message to Canada and the USA what is a picture message?

I have been charged 40p a few times now for a picture message to Canada and the USA when I don't know a soul in these countries and what is a picture message?
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: keep getting charged for a picture message to Canada and the USA what is a picture message?

Picture messages are the old MMS whereby you could send a picture in a fashion similar to SMS text messages.

New phones sometime convert long SMS messages or messages with an emoji or the like to MMS.

What are the numbers to which the phone is sending?

A Google search on numbers often shows if others have had the problem and if it is some sort of scam  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: keep getting charged for a picture message to Canada and the USA what is a picture message?

enlli wrote:

Picture messages are the old MMS ... 

Close, but no cigar Smiley Wink

Picture messages are Virgin's lazy way of describing MMS. The OP hasn't sent pictures to America, he or she has sent MMS to... somewhere else (more on that in a bit).

There are two (main) protocols for messaging between handsets. SMS and MMS. SMS uses 70 characters, or, by fudging the alphabet (i.e. using only 7 bits per character instead of 16), it can get 160 characters into a message. You can send longer messages, but it's done by handsets splitting into and combining from multiple SMS texts.

MMS is a more efficient protocol for larger messages. Typically this would be for attachments such as pictures, but for anything bigger than a few hundred bytes, your phone may well decide that MMS is a better protocol to use. A long message and/or a big circulation list are as likely to trigger the conversion as a binary attachment.

And in the UK, this is a problem. Because pretty much every carrier charges for MMS even though it uses mobile data. If you attach an image, send a contact card, send to many recipients or send a very long message, your phone may decide to use MMS.

And you'll pay.

As for the OP's problem he/she made the mistake of selecting an email recipient for the messages. The handset converts these to MMS and sends them via a message centre which looks like a US/Canada number.

Jules - look through your text messages for any sent by you at the times you've sent these supposed pictures to America. I would bet money (and I don't have much) that you find texts which you've sent to an email contact instead of a mobile contact.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sorry we only used to referred to MMS when I used it. I've moved away from that an SMS now. The charges for 'Picture Messaging' I find are outrageous

Yeah could have been sent to an email address as you say. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It's a UK thing. Elsewhere in the world, your MMS usage is taken from your mobile data allowance so it's no big deal auto-switching to MMS for a more efficient delivery.
0 Kudos