Menu
robjon
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

is this a scam???

Had a few missed calls from 008001836412. Another one last Thursday (8th) at 1700hrs claiming to be from Virgin loyalty rewards dept. I have 3 phones on 30 day rolling sim only plans and my own is on PAYG. As a "loyal" customer, was offered to convert my PAYG to a 30 day sim only plan with 100 any network mins, 500 texts, unlimited landlines plus free virgin to virgin mobile calls for a monthly charge of £3. I agreed to this and after the caller re-iterating all of the T&C`s I was told that I would receive a text within 48 hours confirming the changeover. 65 hours later, still no text. Is this yet another scam?

0 Kudos
BenMor
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: is this a scam???

I had lots of missed calls, and rather bizarrely, multiple silent voicemail messages, from this number.  It seems it’s one of the numbers people who ultimately work on behalf of Virgin use.  Though there’ve been numerous concerns raised about them – Eg See “0800 183 6408” entry (7 pages long) (currently on page 4 of this thread).

PS – On the bright side, it’s perhaps good you answered - My mobile suddenly stopped working after I ignored their calls and silent messages for 2 weeks – Which presumably is just a coincidence…

0 Kudos
robjon
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

To add to my post, I was also told that I could keep my old number.
I heard nothing from VM until I received a sim card in the post today. Rang up and was told the said sim was for the "loyalty" package although it clearly states on the letter which accompanied it that my inclusive minutes amounted to zero!!!!!!!!!!!! and the monthly tariff was also zero??
Was also told that I could NOT keep my existing number????????????
Does anybody in the employ of VM know what department is doing what. In this age of IT surely a cursory glance of the screen showing a persons account details is not too difficult!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
robjon
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yet another post addition and the internal workings of VM beggars belief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Received two letters today (exactly the same) informing me that a direct debit has been set up for my "loyalty" 30 day rolling plan. The bank details in the letter related to an account I had with a different bank 12 years ago which I shut down. Surely a quick look at my details would give VM the info they needed as all bills to them are on DD with my current bank.
To compound my utter dismay with VM, I rang them this afternoon and explained all the details in my initial post above and also advised them that the account details on the received letter were "dead & buried". I was assured by the VM rep that he would contact the relevant dept and add all the aforementioned benefits to my current sim enabling me to keep my number. I asked that when everything was in place could they send me a text confirmation to which he readily agreed. Lo & behold, 10 minutes later, yet another call from a different VM rep asking for certain password letters to authenticate my identity. I refused as I am sick to the back teeth of reiterating my concerns to various VM reps. I explained that I was waiting for a confirmation text and politely informed her that I was ending the call. As yet, still no text!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As there appears to be VM employees on this community board am I to assume that they read posts such as this then sit back and have a good chuckle? There must be employees here that are more competent than the majority I have spoken with on the `phone?

0 Kudos
Shelbinator
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I had a call from this number and it didn't sound legitimate at all. I started recording the call part way through to be safe. They made no mention of my current 30 day rolling contract and it's allowances. They just offered me a free galaxy for £17 a month then when I said I couldn't afford that they offered me a free phone for £10 a month with a £20 voucher. They asked for my email address and I said I needed to look at my finances to look things over (at this point it was raising more alarm bells because virgin media have my email address already, so why would they need it again?)

I phoned virgin media (dialed 789 from my phone) to ask them if the call was legitimate and the sales woman actually kept trying to sell me a sony experia instead of listening to my complaint. There was nothing on my account about any of the upgrades that were offered to me. She said they don't have a department I can talk to about this other than going to complaints to complain about the "sales rep". The call "might" be from a member of the team of makes 'outbound calls', but she cannot verify the number because they don't have the tools to do that.

It sounds to me like the number is a scam. I'm going to try and go into a virgin store tomorrow to speak to an actual human being, see what they say. If it is a legitimate offer I would totally upgrade. If it's not then it is scary how convincing they were. Although now I think about it after just coming off the phone with Virgin the "008001836412" number didn't ask me to confirm my name, that I'm the account holder, or for any of the letters of my security password. 

0 Kudos
robjon
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I had a call from this number and it didn't sound legitimate at all.

When I personally rang VM and explained what was offered to me they actually got it up on "my" screen, so it does appear that the number is genuine?

0 Kudos
Shelbinator
Tuning in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I am genuinely baffled right now, this sounds like terrible communication between the VM departments.The VM rep I spoke to said that none of the offers I had been given were on the system. Surely if they are going to offer someone something then they should at least have the records up to date on the system. Perhaps yours was on the screen because you accepted it.

Your experience sounds terrible and stressful, I hope it all gets smoothed out in the end! Make sure you keep all the paperwork you get as well to be safe.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@Shelbinator  I'm going to flag this to the @ModTeam so that they can get one of the Forum Team to look at this.  If this was a genuine call then it should be logged on your account.  Note: Virgin Media's Forum Team work something like 8-8 although the individual agents don't do 12 hour shifts.

Based on what the OP is saying it appears the number is genuine, but if the agent didn't ask the appropriate verification questions, it does put an element of doubt in your case.  If it is genuine, they need to find out why the appropriate questions weren't asked anyway.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Shelbinator
Tuning in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thank-you I appreciate that. It would be good to know for certain if they call me back as well. 

0 Kudos
robjon
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I heard nothing from VM until I received a sim card in the post today.

Another update. Heard nothing again from VM so decided to ring them today. Explained everything yet again and asked if the simcard which I received Tuesday in the post could be cancelled. Rep asked usual security Q`s re: my existing account then asked me what was the last number called from the simcard. I explained that it hasn`t been used and it`s still in it`s original packaging. Again I was asked what was the last number called as she obviously ignored or failed to comprehend what I had told her!!!!! After being "on hold" for a few minutes she then came back and asked me security Q`s for an account that I had with them app. 12 years ago. I lost the will to live and ended the call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!