Menu
geriann
Superfast
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

is it true i need my Mobile Data switched on to send an MMS txt?

I rarely send MMS texts since i find out they are not included in ny "unlimited texts". However there has been a couple of times ive accidentally wrote a text thats too long so its veen converted into a MMS text.
When thats happened it says "sending" & never gets sent!
I found this strange because i know i set my phone up to send pictures (aka MMS) wheni 1st get the phone.

Today i came across the thread below & noticed one person (on post 7) say you need your mobile data switched on to send an MMS.
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Mobile/MMS-message-problem/td-p/1935664#reply-form
is that true?
If it is then i know what happened.
When i use up my Contracts data allowance i disable mobile data on my mobile (Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini) so i dont get charged extra.
So am i right? Disabling mobile means i cant aend MMS texts?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: is it true i need my Mobile Data switched on to send an MMS txt?

Correct, a MMS needs data ON to send or receive :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

So, out of interest, how does this work with regard to people who are charged for their data?

I'm guessing that the data used for MMS does not come out of any data allowance, but for people who pay £1 per 100MB (for example) just turning mobile data on so they can send a picture message means they'll end up paying £1.40 - 40p for the message and £1 for the few bytes of data that their handset requests when it senses an internet connection.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Back in the old days when a MMS was included in most allowances/contract's (before the smartphones), I was on a payg with Orange and Vodafone, I could recieve and sent a MMS at the normal text cost and not be charged for using any data.

As you say, it would now cost you £1.40 to send or a £1.00 to receive, I believe back in those days - the APN settings would turn on your data when a MMS was being sent or received and then turn it off again afterwards.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos