Menu
woodlydog
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

internet browsing data usage

I have just switched to virgin media mobile, i have had virgin media WiFi at home for the last two years. I do not understand when I check my data usage on my account, it is reducing significantly by 'internet browsing' time when I have been connected to a WiFi network, usually mine at home. Why is that? I thought the amount would only reduce when I wasn't using a WiFi connection. I am confused. I have already rang 789 due to premium rate texts being received, premium rate calls and unknown charges on my account, plus failure to complete the order for a second phone I purchased! I've only had my virgin mobile for two weeks and it has provided more problems in that time than all of the last three years with my old provider. Any help appreciated. Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: internet browsing data usage

Hi Woodlydog,

Thanks for your query Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that the data usage has been lost while using Wi-Fi. I want to look into this for you. Can you let me know how you check your usage for your account?

Can you also let me know what phone you're using?

Get back to me when you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
woodlydog
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat, I purchased two Microsoft Lumia 735 models on a monthly contract basis.
I have checked my usage using the virgin media mobile account. I've had one phone about two weeks and the other only a few days. The data usage on both phones is depleting even though the usual connection is via home WiFi, then WiFi whilst out and rarely where no WiFi connection available. When I look at the itemised usage I can clearly see the connection was home based WiFi and yet it has still reduced the overall total by that browsing time.
Your help would be very much appreciated. I have already raised issues with the customer service team as both phones are running up bills. One cannot be explained and the other is premium rate numbers and texts that I wasn't aware of. Customer service agreed to waive these charges and put a block on both phones to prevent premium calls and texts in or out. I am concerned that switching to virgin media has currently brought me nothing but questions and additional expense and I really would like the matter sorting as I also have another contract starting when the phone for my son arrives this week.
Many thanks
0 Kudos
kenzone62
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello , internet browsing data usage all my data gone in 2 days ? 

although i am using wifi at home virgin wifi  ,mobile data is off & roaming is off . cost me £14.40 this month and 2 days in too  my new month data gone again being charged even on wifi  :-( called them said refund but nothing yet may go back to O2 and scrap virgin after over 10 years with broadband TV & PHONES   

0 Kudos
woodlydog
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, looks like this isn't an isolated issue then. I've only just switched and I expected my monthly contract to be my total spend. I even bought a phone for my mother and another for my son. I'm really concerned about the expense now and hope virgin can sort out the mess my accounts appear to be in, otherwise I will be doing the same and moving back to my old provider who was actually cheaper on a monthly basis,but I hoped we could all take advantage of the free ringing to other virgin mobile users. Hope you get you issues resolved, I'll let you know how I get on.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi both,

Thanks for keeping me updated on your situations. I'm really sorry for any frustration caused on our part. If mobile data is disabled on the phone while using Wi-Fi, then it is physically impossible for the usage to decrease. Are you able to try and disable data whenever you use Wi-Fi and let me know?

I'm here if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
woodlydog
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat, I have followed the instructions you provided and it seems to have solved the issue. My browsing whilst using WiFi is now not reducing my data usage. Thank you
However my original problem is continuing, which is in my account it is showing I owe for usage outside my tariff but when I scroll through my bill I cannot find where these amounts have come from. I rang 789 and they said they couldn't explain all the charges but one was a premium text received and another a premium phone call, but agreed to waive the additional charges this month. At my point of call the bill was £6.87 it has now crept up to over £8. With no explanation as to why. If I look specifically into both phone accounts one shows I owe£3.16 being the premium info I just mentioned but the other phone account says £0.00. Why does this amount keep increasing? What are these charges for? How do I stop it? I seem to be having absolutely nothing but trouble with these phones and I have a third arriving tomorrow! Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Woodlylog,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

I'm glad to hear the Mobile data issue is now resolved. I want to make sure I get to the bottom of your other issue as well.

I'm unable to view your account on my side without passing DPA. I've sent you a PM detailing the next steps. You can view this by clicking the red envelope in the top left hand corner.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No problem at all Julie Smiley Happy

I'll be in touch tomorrow for you.

Thanks,