Menu
glenndelikan
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

iPhone unlock

Can Virigin Mobile unlock my iPhone 5 (currently with EE) so I can get a sim only deal with them?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: iPhone unlock

If it is locked then you will have to ask EE to unlock it (Provided it was bought from them)

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi glenndelikan

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Thanks for your interest in Virgin Mobile.

Only the network that an iPhone is locked to are able to assist with getting the handset unlocked for you I'm afraid, so you'd just need to speak with your current provider for help getting the handset unlocked.

Some handsets locked to EE will work on Virgin Mobile though as we're a virtual mobile network with EE as our network partner.

This isn't guaranteed, but you can order a free Pay As You Go SIM from us to check if it works before signing up to the SIM Only deal.

Just head to our 'Free SIM' page now to get your SIM ordered.

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

glenndelikan
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice, I tried using a Virgin sim and it works without need for me to get it unlocked so great!!!
0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I would advise you to get EE to unlock the iPhone whilst you still can. Unlocking an iPhone is a different process to all other phones, it involves registering the device as SIM free with Apple. If at some future point you decide to move elsewhere you might experience difficulty as VM won't be able to unlock it. EE charge £8.99 to unlock.

teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@ Enceladus1

If EE unlock the phone, do Apple put the phone in a fully unlocked condition or does the phone go back too being where it will lock with next sim again?

If the phone locks again, the OP would be wasting their money getting EE too unlock it.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@teabag

If the phone is registered with Apple/iTunes as unlocked it will remain unlocked.

There have been problems reported on this forum where folks have iPhones locked to Virgin but not originally purchased directly from Virgin. Virgin claim they can't unlock such handsets. CPW and the like say it's not their problem, speak to Virgin etc. A right merry-go-round.

Whether that is strictly accurate is not really the point. The fact is that customers experience unnecessary pain when they want to move from VM. Hence my advice to unlock the phone whilst it can still be done by EE. And in any event EE charge £8.99 versus Virgin's £15.32.

teabag
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Enceladus1

Good to hear it would be unlocked for good.

I was just asking because if the phone did lock again, the OP would have waisted their time and money, it would have locked back to Virgin/EE and Virgin would not be interested in unlocking after that.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

They cant unlock them as they have probably been stolen.

If you buy a locked iphone on ebay chances are 90%+ its been stolen and you will not be able to use it so be aware!!!

Most of them are bought from ebay by people wanting the parts to repair/rebuild a broken Iphone from the spare parts.

Unless you know someone in the FBI or haxcker community you wont be able to unlock a locked Iphone!!!

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@omendata

The phone is SIM locked to EE. The phone is working and therefore not "barred". 

If it was stolen or lost it would normally have been barred and thereby rendered useless. In any event the OP hasn't told us where the phone was bought, ebay has not been mentioned? It appears that there is no reason why the phone cannot be unlocked and used on other networks. Virgin Mobile works as it is run on the EE network and satisfies the SIM lock.

Whilst the phone is still live on EE then EE will unlock it for a fee. BTW nobody can remove the bar if the phone is reported lost or stolen; excepting the original network in certain circumstances and the original owner reports the phone recovered and requests the bar is lifted.

0 Kudos