Menu
rosafaith
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

iPhone No Service

I regularly switch between sim cards on my iPhone 5 as I live abroad, usually I have no trouble inserting my nano Virgin sim. However in the past few days having come back to the UK I tried the nano sim in my iPhone and it just says No Service. I have switched the phone off and on, updated the software etc. The sim card works fine in my old Nokia handset. I don't know what the problem is.

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: iPhone No Service

Is this you first attempt at using this particular iPhone 5 on Virgin in the UK? Or is it this particular iPhone that you have always been using in the UK and abroad, as opposed to your Nokia?

Where did you buy the iPhone 5? iPhones that are not purchased direct from the Apple store lock to the first network they are used on. I'm wondering if that has happened to you. 

0 Kudos
rosafaith
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No I have always used this phone with this sim card, when I first bought it a few years ago I used the virgin sim straight away and only 2 years ago started using a different sim card when I'm abroad. I last used it with the Virgin sim in April in the UK and it worked fine then.

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

OK. Long shot but was worth asking.

I would check if the iPhone's 3G modes are enabled? Might it be switched to to 4G/LTE only? Despite the fact that EE's network is 4G enabled and Virgin Mobile is an overlay on EE's network, VM UK does not support 4G. If your handset is set as 4G only it won't see Virgin. That said I don't handily know where those settings are in your IOS as I don't have an iPhone handy at the moment.

0 Kudos
rosafaith
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I don't think it's that because it says No Service and I can't make any calls or texts. It's not just internet. Besides, the sim works in my nokia.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi rosafaith

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your mobile service at the moment.

You've mentioned the sim works in your Nokia, have you tested that recently? Just so we can rule out the sim as a potential issue. If so, would you be able to test another sim card in your iPhone, to double check the hardware in the phone is working as it should?

We'll talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos