Menu
RobbieL
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

iPhone 5s Unlock

I am trying to unlock an iPhone 5s which works on Virgin Mobile currently. I've called and been told a number of times that I need to connect it to iTunes and update the software and that should automatically unlock the phone however that has not happened despite several attempts.

Even on iTunes it states:

"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

Please can someone tell me how to unlock this thing as I bought it for my g/f but she wants to stay with Three!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: iPhone 5s Unlock

If you've updated the software successfully try doing a restore, see if that unlocks it

0 Kudos
RobbieL
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Danny - omitted in the earlier post but I've tried that too and it's still locked. The message that comes up says it needs to be unlocked by the carrier (Virgin mobile) but Virginia are saying Apple need to do it. Who is right?
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to the forums RobbieL Smiley Happy

If the phone isn't from Virgin, I'm afraid our system doesn't let us unlock the phone. I'm sorry if this wasn't the answer you were looking for. I would advise to contact Apple to see what they can do on your side.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
RobbieL
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mat.

Surely though if the phone only works on virgin now - then it must be from virgin? Orange wouldn't sell a phone locked to virgin would they?

It makes no sense
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

RobbieL wrote:
Thanks Mat.

Surely though if the phone only works on virgin now - then it must be from virgin? Orange wouldn't sell a phone locked to virgin would they?

It makes no sense

Hi Robbie,

when you say "Orange wouldn't sell a phone locked to Virgin" you are implying that you bought the phone from Orange.

Is this the case? Or did you buy the phone from Virgin?

The way I understand it, iPhones unless purchased directly from Apple, lock themselves to the first network SIM card inserted.

As Virgin Mobile works on the EE (Orange+T-Mobile) network, there may be some cross over there. I don't own an Apple device to test this, perhaps a user who does could respond.

However it definitely won't also work on the Three network unless unlocked.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
RobbieL
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Apologies was just using that as a slightly facetious example.

It's on Virgin at the min and I can't put another sim in so maybe it is an Orange / T-mobile issue?
0 Kudos