Menu
Mlgw
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

iOS carrier update stops iPhone 6 using orange signal

Since latest iOS carrier update that came out with release of iOS 8.2, If my iPhone goes onto orange signal when Virgin signal drops, it won't make/connect calls or data, even though it says it has 3G signal. Only thing that works for me is to manually select Virgin and take off automatic carrier selection.
It's just like the issues that occurred when Virgin first started using orange signals.
Virgin please release an iOS update that fixes this problem soon.
0 Kudos
Mlgw
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: iOS carrier update stops iPhone 6 using orange signal

Seems I'm out of date. It's now EE and no longer orange. Anyway, EE signal on iPhone displays as 'virgin'. When it uses EE (virgin) none of the phone calls or data work and it just hangs. The Virgin signal is displayed as 'Virgin' with capital V. Everything works when on 'Virgin' signal.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mlgw,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you're losing signal since the update. I'll look into this on my side to see if anyone else is aware of the problem.

I'll get back to you when I have more info.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Mlgw
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat, the wife also has same problem with her iPhone 6. In setting, general, about, it has Carrier Virgin 18.0. Does this have anything to do with which update version is installed?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Mlgw wrote:
Seems I'm out of date. It's now EE and no longer orange..

By my understanding, EE is an amalgam of T-Mobile and Orange. When you see "Virgin" as your carrier, it's using a T-Mobile cell. When it shows "virgin" you're using an Orange cell.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mlgw

Thanks for your reply.

Could you confirm if this issue is happening everywhere you go, or is it specific to your home postcode?

It would be great if you could test the SIM in a different phone to see if the issue is still present or not to establish if the fault is indeed with the handset.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Mlgw
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It isn't specific to one location. Just depends on which signal that is being used. Heathrow and Crawley have required manual network selection to stop calls and data hanging/ not connecting. Once on Virgin signal it's ok at those locations. 

As both the wife and I have same problem, both the sims being faulty or both iphones being faulty would be unlikely.

It wouldn't be the first time Virgin has had problems with using dual operator signals. When they first started using orange it wouldn't work for data but it would work for calls if memory serves me correct. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that. Smiley Happy

It all started with March iOS Carrier setting update on both sims / iphones.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mlgw

Thanks for getting back in touch to confirm those details.

Could you give our tech team a call on 789 / 0345 600 0789 and we'll investigate this further for you?

Let us know how you get on with it.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Mlgw
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

With new iOS 8.3 update it has changed Carrier to Virgin 19. I'll contact tech team if update doesn't do the trick. Should be in areas that'll use 'virgin' signal over weekend so fingers crossed. Thanks
0 Kudos
Mlgw
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Update
iOS 8.3 update to Carrier Virgin 19 did the trick. Can get data and call connection on both 'Virgin' and 'virgin' signals again. 😀
Thanks
0 Kudos