Menu
Wesjoanne
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

how does a phone use its data though the night when not being used.

Hi how does a mobile phone use data through the night when its not being used. Help please. thanks

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: how does a phone use its data though the night when not being used.

A smartphone will use some small amounts of data all the time - does not matter if phone is asleep or when connected to WiFi, using small amounts is normal.

As long as you have the settings correct the usage will be very low, if you really want to stop it - your only choice is to turn mobile data off in the phones settings.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Wesjoanne
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, I have the same MB allowance and I never use that amout and I use my phone more , I will have a look at the settings to make sure correct, thanks xx
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Further to teabag's answer, your mobile data usage is rolled up for the day and billed at some point after midnight. For this reason you may appear to be using data even if your phone is switched off overnight.

With the exception of MMS messages, your phone will always use wifi rather than mobile data if connected to a wifi router. Most smartphones will disable wifi after a set time in standby to save battery. If the operating system or an app decides it needs some data (a lot of them still run, even in standby) that's when it resorts to mobile data.
0 Kudos
Lurcherlover
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I find that my phone uses data at night as well. I blame it on dodgy WiFi!!

0 Kudos