Menu
Mickythegreek
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

how do I stop spam texts

I keep getting spam texts from Free Message offering disgusting videos which I have absolutely no desire to view. Is there a Virgin app that stops these and how/where do I get it?

I have also just received one saying I have subscribed to a service costing £3 per week. Is it safe to send "STOP" to the number they give to do so?

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: how do I stop spam texts

If you know you did not SUB to it then do not send any MSG back even STOP, same as you do not click on UnSUB link at bottom of spam e-mails.

There is Apps can block unwanted calls/MSG's but if you own an Android you may be out of luck as since Kitcat 4.x the MSG side does not work due to changes in the android OS..

I have a Moto x Gen2 and I cannot block MSG's with ESET Mobile Security or any other app I tried only calls but I am still looking and do not see how it cannot be rectified by update to OS and Apps.

0 Kudos
Mickythegreek
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Cheers buddy. I thought that there was something up as I would never sub to something like that. I have just had another text from the same asking me to send STOP to same number. Will follow your advice and just delete.

Thanks again, shame about the Android problem. You'd think that they would have sorted this by now!

Mike

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

They only broke it recently and its not really borke its the change in way the OS works.

This is copy/paste from ESET (same for other Apps vendors).

"As of Android KitKat, there's only one application in the system that can modify sms/mms messages. Due to this security limitation, EMS cannot filter incoming messages."

"See the EMS for Android FAQ for all compatibility requirements and issues:

http://kb.eset.com/e...ent&id=SOLN2711

For the issue with Kitkat, that doesn't apply to other Android versions (see question #11):

Android 4.4 Kit Kat users

SMS & Call Filter is not functional in the ESET GUI on devices running Android Kit Kat 4.4 due to new SMS/MMS handling on this operating system. Users running Android Kit Kat 4.4 will see messaging that alerts them to this issue."

0 Kudos