Menu
jadala
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

excess data usage

Ive just had my mobile bill, and have been charged 12 extra for going over my data usage. I have looked at the bill and it is using data in the early hours even though it is connected to wi fi and gps is off this shouldnt be happening and dont get me started on trying to speak to someone, they either wont answer the  phone ,and the chat on line is usless, any one know a email address

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: excess data usage

That's down to your settings on your phone.

You can tell it only to download updates etc over WiFi to stop it using data when you are not actively online.

If you Google your handset I'm sure you'll find instructions, if you cant, post what it is and Ill see if I can find them for you.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Further to Kippies' answer - the tally for your internet usage for the day is rolled up into one lump that is applied to your account in the early morning hours. That's the explanation for apparent usage when most people would be asleep.

You should also note that most handsets are configured by default to use their mobile data rather than wifi when the phone is in standby. This is to preserve battery life. If your handset is doing routine maintenance such as downloading software updates while the phone is in your pocket, you are using your data connection without realising it.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That's down to your settings on your phone.

You can tell it only to download updates etc over WiFi to stop it using data when you are not actively online.

If you Google your handset I'm sure you'll find instructions, if you cant, post what it is and Ill see if I can find them for you.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Further to Kippies' answer - the tally for your internet usage for the day is rolled up into one lump that is applied to your account in the early morning hours. That's the explanation for apparent usage when most people would be asleep.

You should also note that most handsets are configured by default to use their mobile data rather than wifi when the phone is in standby. This is to preserve battery life. If your handset is doing routine maintenance such as downloading software updates while the phone is in your pocket, you are using your data connection without realising it.

0 Kudos
jadala
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks its a i phone 5c,but data is switched off and is only set to update when connected to wi fi, any suggestions would be helpful thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If your mobile data is off, then you've been overcharged.

My wife has an iPhone 5, but I don't have chloroform and a crowbar so I'm not going to be able to access it to see which settings you need to look at.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi jadala,

Sorry to hear you had some issues with excessive data usage.

The best way to stop the phone using any excess data is by turning off Background app refresh.

This will stop any apps from connecting to the internet while you're not using them.

You can turn this off by going into Settings > General > Background App refresh. This can then be turned off.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos