Menu
frog1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

emojis

hi there, I thought emoji's were free when texting? I have checked my bill and loads with no charge but a couple with smiley faces to one number I have been charged for?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: emojis

Your phone will almost certainly have changed them to Picture Messages which are chargeable.

Nothing to do with Virgin, happens with a lot of modern phones whatever the network.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi frog1,

as enlli has said, your phone will almost certainly converted the SMS (text) message to an MMS (picture) message which is chargeable.

There are a few other instances where this can happen. Click here: How to stop text messages being sent as MMS (actually an O2 support page).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi frog1,

usually basic emoji - smiley face :-) sad face :-(  are OK.

It's when you send more involved emoticon such as blowing a kiss e.t.c that your phone will convert to MMS.

enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Depends how your phone actually works. Maybe on some of them it caused the message to go over 160 characters. Some phones also cause longs SMS messages to be changed to Picture Messages. It's not straight forward.

Must admit I have given up on Text Messages in all but a few cases. Most of the people I have to message are on WhatsApp and I use that most of the time. 

Might be worth reading this http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2014/12/got-a-samsung-phone-you-could-get-charged-extra...

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/feb/06/mobile-phone-emoticons-could-wipe-smile-off-face

enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 11 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have a look at this:-

https://apn-uk.gishan.net/settings/991_3_virgin_apn_settings_for_lg_spirit.php

If you don't want to use MMS (Picture Messaging) at all remove all the settings to do with MMS/ MMSC

The phone will then not be able to convert your text to Picture Messages. 

Keep a note of the setting in case you want to re-instate them

Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

frog1 wrote:

...I have checked 19 pages of my  bill and I have used kisses/flowers/food loads of them and yet no charge? but have been charged for 3 or 4 to the same number?...

It's also possible that you've been charged if the dialling code is a new one that hasn't been mapped as a mobile number.

enlli wrote:

...Maybe on some of them it caused the message to go over 160 characters...

70 characters! If the phone is set to "auto alphabet" you may find that it switches to unicode so the emoticons can be sent using text instead of binary. A unicode SMS message tops out at 70 characters, not the 160 you get from the GSM alphabet. It's very easy to go over 70chars in a text message.

All Replies
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your phone will almost certainly have changed them to Picture Messages which are chargeable.

Nothing to do with Virgin, happens with a lot of modern phones whatever the network.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi frog1,

as enlli has said, your phone will almost certainly converted the SMS (text) message to an MMS (picture) message which is chargeable.

There are a few other instances where this can happen. Click here: How to stop text messages being sent as MMS (actually an O2 support page).

frog1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply, what I don't get is my whole month is free with exception of 2 or 3?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi frog1,

usually basic emoji - smiley face :-) sad face :-(  are OK.

It's when you send more involved emoticon such as blowing a kiss e.t.c that your phone will convert to MMS.

frog1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello AlexKid, I wont pretend I am not confused, I have checked 19 pages of my  bill and I have used kisses/flowers/food loads of them and yet no charge? but have been charged for 3 or 4 to the same number? I cant get thru to virgin as really busy! some people have told me they r free whichever newtwork  your on and some people have said they are chargeable???

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Depends how your phone actually works. Maybe on some of them it caused the message to go over 160 characters. Some phones also cause longs SMS messages to be changed to Picture Messages. It's not straight forward.

Must admit I have given up on Text Messages in all but a few cases. Most of the people I have to message are on WhatsApp and I use that most of the time. 

Might be worth reading this http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2014/12/got-a-samsung-phone-you-could-get-charged-extra...

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/feb/06/mobile-phone-emoticons-could-wipe-smile-off-face

frog1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi there. I have just got off phone with virgin who were really helpful and confirmed they were chargeable but were like me baffled as to why I have 19 pages of texts not charged with faces/flowers and yet  a couple that were! she did try to see if my phone could be changed at settings to turn this off but couldn't do it, am gutted as only had contract for 3 months and really like sending them, but wont be anymore!!

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What phone have you got?

0 Kudos
frog1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator